Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this msg from a friend:

Ok.. Gotta get this off my chest once and for all....
I'm sure you're enjoying what you're doing musically right now but you and I both know it's not you (just what I think, maybe not true). I'm not saying it's not good, I just never would have pictured you with a band like that. What you do is SO much closer to what we do than anything else in town. This shit will DESTROY ALL if people would just man up and help us get it out. This shit is a game changer and I wish you would consider getting on board. 1 night a week and any extra time you might wanna give. Playing shows is cool but is it what you really wanna be doing? Even (name removed) agrees that you fit us better than anything else and HE wants you for HIS band... Do me a favor and give it some thought. Doesn't have to be all or nothing right now. Part time on the side works. Just learn the tunes and get ready to kick the shit out of the world..lol..
Sorry for all of this bro, I just needed to say everything I've been thinking for a long time. Now it's all out.. I feel lighter..

I have never been flattered like this before, especially music-wise. He is right, though. My style matches more with them than the band I'm in right now. Gonna have to give this some serious thought.

Don't know if I can juggle two bands even though this 2nd band wouldn't take up too much of my extra time.

If I told this to my wife, her choice would be for me to be in no bands at all, so I can't talk to her about it.

The band I'm in right now is further "established-wise." we have an album out that's on iTunes. We're playing a show with major touring acts a few days from now (DRI, Death Angel, Lazarus AD, and Bonded by Blood).*

Both bands have potential.

My current band's singer used to be the singer of Motograter (before they went nu-metal) and he's got connections.

I'd be a bassist in either band but my current band is letting me write a fair share of guitar riffs on the next album (I've been in the band for over a year now and wasn't around writing the first record).*

Two of the guys in the 2nd band got pretty far in a previous band that I dug the shit out (was in an MTV contest back in the late 90's).*

I just dont know what to do...

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Apologies in advance for the book.

Also, asterisks are from writing this on my iPod touch's notepad so I don't know how they got there

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Hm that's hard Sami, for sure. What style is the other band? Maybe you could try doing one day a week with the second band and see where it goes. Were you looking forward to writing music for the current band? Sorry not much help here :/

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Thats a tough one mate.

What you should consider for the "being in 2 bands"-version: Even if not immediately, there WILL be the day when dates are crashing and you have to make a decision for one of them. E.g. 2 gig-offers for the same day; recording with one band - gig with the other band;...BOTH bands expect 100% from you, even if they say otherwise.

That sounds a bit rough, i know, but seriously - I, for example, do not accept any bandmembers being in 2 bands, because of that. I had that too often already, and also i was in the same boat. Even when this other band KNEW (because i TOLD them in advance) that Reanima is always my MAIN band, and i can only jump in when i'm not busy with Reanima - they were o.k. with it when i told them, but pissed when i could not rehearsal because we had a gig with Reanima.

2 Bands = Trouble involved, sooner or later. Of course this is only if both bands are going "serious". If one of those bands is just a "hey, lets jam once a months and have some beers", thats a different story of course, but it doesnt seem like that in your case.

Also - i see your statement: "If I told this to my wife, her choice would be for me to be in no bands at all", and i'm basically in the same boat - my girl lives with the fact that besides her, the big love in my life is music and my band. but the more serious we get (touring, recording, gigs in foureign countries) the more she is uncomfortable with it.

And 2 Bands = twice the time you need = more trouble with the woman. Can you hear the "You spend more time with the bands than with me!" complaining already? If yes, think twice if you really wanna go that route.

I'm sorry that this was a whole essay of negative shit, i can clearly be wrong and you get it all managed perfectly,...its just: i dont think so from what i've experienced.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Eeeh, the way that whole message reads sounds sketchy to me. I obviously don't know anyone involved, and sorry if this comes across the wrong way, but that message kinda sounds like he was a bit drunk. That, and its kinda got mixed signals, talking about his shit being "game changing" and "rocking the world" and all that shit, but is cool if you're part time with it? I dunno. The whole thing reads like a drunken sales pitch to me.

It seems if he were as serious as he says he is, he'd be all about getting it full time, getting full time band members and practicing full time. :shrug:

Based on that, I'd stay where you're at and dont fuck with this other band. However, You obviously know the dude, and if he's not fucking around with you, just join his band and see how it works?

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hm that's hard Sami, for sure. What style is the other band? Maybe you could try doing one day a week with the second band and see where it goes. Were you looking forward to writing music for the current band? Sorry not much help here :/
No probs man, yea it's awesome they're letting me contribute to the guitar writing since I'm mainly a guitarist but switched to bass for this band. I saw it as an opportunity.

I've got a recording of the 2nd's band stuff somewhere. Got it a couple years ago from him while I was playing guitar in my last band and was floored by it.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats a tough one mate.

What you should consider for the "being in 2 bands"-version: Even if not immediately, there WILL be the day when dates are crashing and you have to make a decision for one of them. E.g. 2 gig-offers for the same day; recording with one band - gig with the other band;...BOTH bands expect 100% from you, even if they say otherwise.

That sounds a bit rough, i know, but seriously - I, for example, do not accept any bandmembers being in 2 bands, because of that. I had that too often already, and also i was in the same boat. Even when this other band KNEW (because i TOLD them in advance) that Reanima is always my MAIN band, and i can only jump in when i'm not busy with Reanima - they were o.k. with it when i told them, but pissed when i could not rehearsal because we had a gig with Reanima.

2 Bands = Trouble involved, sooner or later. Of course this is only if both bands are going "serious". If one of those bands is just a "hey, lets jam once a months and have some beers", thats a different story of course, but it doesnt seem like that in your case.

Also - i see your statement: "If I told this to my wife, her choice would be for me to be in no bands at all", and i'm basically in the same boat - my girl lives with the fact that besides her, the big love in my life is music and my band. but the more serious we get (touring, recording, gigs in foureign countries) the more she is uncomfortable with it.

And 2 Bands = twice the time you need = more trouble with the woman. Can you hear the "You spend more time with the bands than with me!" complaining already? If yes, think twice if you really wanna go that route.

I'm sorry that this was a whole essay of negative shit, i can clearly be wrong and you get it all managed perfectly,...its just: i dont think so from what i've experienced.
I've always been a one-band man myself. I didn't really like it that in one of my past band's that the drummer was shared with another band. In my current band, one of my guitarists and the drummer are both in their own 2nd project. I actually appreciate the essay of negative shit. Shit can't be all bells and whistles, ya know. My current band would definitely be considered top priority.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eeeh, the way that whole message reads sounds sketchy to me. I obviously don't know anyone involved, and sorry if this comes across the wrong way, but that message kinda sounds like he was a bit drunk. That, and its kinda got mixed signals, talking about his shit being "game changing" and "rocking the world" and all that shit, but is cool if you're part time with it? I dunno. The whole thing reads like a drunken sales pitch to me.

It seems if he were as serious as he says he is, he'd be all about getting it full time, getting full time band members and practicing full time. :shrug:

Based on that, I'd stay where you're at and dont fuck with this other band. However, You obviously know the dude, and if he's not fucking around with you, just join his band and see how it works?
Hah, he might've been stoned, but don't think he's a drinker. He's definitely not fucking around. He asked me to join them a few months ago.

In my last band when I played guitar, he went to high school with my other guitarist. He's pretty down to earth, mature, stable (married with two kids), and is a seriously kickass drummer.

Their band is moving very very slow. If I joined, it would totally be a side project type thing. There's a chance it might take off and if I was with them at that point, I would have to re-weigh things between both bands. They are serious, but they're not for the usual "keep playing gigs" thing. Since they actually somewhat got somewhere in the past, they don't want to take the same route (is the feeling I'm getting from them). I'd have to have a chat with them to see their goals and shit.

By the way, I appreciate your reply since I've talked to Wookie and Pete a whole lot and yours is a farther of an outside perspective.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Playing shows is cool but is it what you really wanna be doing?
Fuck yes! I'd MUCH rather be playing shows than jamming in some jackwagon's garage :lol:

Also, if your shows are bringing in a bit of cash, I'm sure your wife would agree with me ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
if you like th band and the dudes, join it. i usually try to play with a couple different bands at once, playing different instruments and styles. keeps me happy.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Playing shows is what it's all about. People that you don't know coming up to you afterwards to give kudos is one of the best feelings of the world!

Our shows aren't bringing cash. I'm not dissatisfied with that either. I'm not in it for the money. If I did, I'd be living off very little supplies of water and ramen just by myself. My current band doesn't have the best of luck with venues and such. It's just the way it works for us it seems.

This second band has been together for several years as well. Regardless, there are great, mature, and stable musicians in both bands and there's a longtime standing with both of them.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
This.

Coming from personal experience, everytime I have ever made a drunken band sales pitch, I've pretty much always used the phrase "DESTROY ALL" or some variant. Its just not a phrase you really use when sober :lol:

The actual situation is a tough one though, go with your gut, and best of luck to you :metal:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hah, he might've been stoned, but don't think he's a drinker. He's definitely not fucking around. He asked me to join them a few months ago.

In my last band when I played guitar, he went to high school with my other guitarist. He's pretty down to earth, mature, stable (married with two kids), and is a seriously kickass drummer.

Their band is moving very very slow. If I joined, it would totally be a side project type thing. There's a chance it might take off and if I was with them at that point, I would have to re-weigh things between both bands. They are serious, but they're not for the usual "keep playing gigs" thing. Since they actually somewhat got somewhere in the past, they don't want to take the same route (is the feeling I'm getting from them). I'd have to have a chat with them to see their goals and shit.

By the way, I appreciate your reply since I've talked to Wookie and Pete a whole lot and yours is a farther of an outside perspective.
If you got the time, then why not. Though, I gotta agree with Leon. I'd rather be rocking the fuck out as much as possible. :lol:

Edit: I also like your current band a lot more, based on those two mp3s.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I say go with the band with the greatest potential. Tonight I was talking to a couple arkham bandmates about the future and having to choose. To me it's simple: metal won't get me as far, the rock band is established, and I will choose the one that will further my music career. I can't go without playing metal and they know and understand that, but what it boils down to is one band has goals and timelines and the other band just has a goal and too few members to achieve it.

It's fun to be in two bands at once, but at some point you'll have to choose. It sucks but it's how it goes.

Pick which one you will get the most satisfaction from and go with that one.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I like your current band's material more. Biggest thing, the drums don't utterly suck :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts