Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I love this new Dream Theater song and they have not released a new song in a while where I felt in love.

However, this is very SDOT, Ocatavarium. Everything sounds great and Petrucci's solo is glorious. So good.

His best solo out of all the ones recently.

Labrie's vocals are spot-on, reminds me of his solo albums.

Reactions: Randy

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
wow I did not instantly hate that.

Hopefully they put out plenty more like that. I also enjoyed the complete lack of wankery from Rudess.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
bar-band opening riff.
:lol: Best riff description ever. usually at least 2 2017-2019 Slayer tshirts on show and a bass player dressed not as metal as the rest of the band because he isnt that into it but the only guy who replied to the 'bass player wanted' add.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Banned
13,826 Posts
Not huge on the Dreamz Theaterz, but I'd rather hear an intro like that than freaking 80-bars long keyboard solos.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Never felt so excited for a dream theater song in a long while, that solo kicks ass.

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
Me to every new Dream Theater song at this point

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
intro riff is crap. rest of song, first song i've liked since that angels song which was cool. Really enjoyed that, reminds me of older stuff. And mr i play technical exercises masquerading as keyboard parts is muted. probably why it's good. That solo is ace too

·
Read Only
10 Posts
intro riff is crap. rest of song, first song i've liked since that angels song which was cool. Really enjoyed that, reminds me of older stuff. And mr i play technical exercises masquerading as keyboard parts is muted. probably why it's good. That solo is ace too
:hesright:

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I dug it, minus the vocals. Definitely the most energy/heaviest tune they've done in quite some time. If LaBrie would have went for some Awake-style vocals, it would have kicked it up quite a few notches, or just put some more weight in his delivery. That floating-over-the-song is fucking boring and done to death with him. Someone needs to piss him off before he tracks his parts.

Everything (minus the vocals) sounds great! Best drum sound they've had since Portnoy left and the lack of Rudess is always welcome.

Opening riff reminded me of this Chevelle tune. I dig a few of their tunes, that dude's gotten some killer MkIV tones over the years.

Also, thanks to Coffee With Ola, I finally checked out Evergrey recently, immediately went on iTunes and got a few albums. Looking forward to digging into these guys!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts