Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:lol: I have no clue how old it is. All I know is that it's one of the old assed Japanese made Boss pedals. And I have to say... The stories of the older Japanese made Boss pedals kicking all kinds of ass over the newer Taiwan made ones is so true. I've had my share of newer SD-1s(because they are so cheap) and none of them have EVER sounded like this one. :metal: Much smoother and a bit more quiet.
I need to find a way to record some decent sounding clips with this thing. :yesway:
And it's late at night right now so I can't be really loud but so far, I don't notice any loss of bottom end like I do with other overdrive pedals.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Make sure if you run it with adaptors to daisy chain it to something else - the black label models predate the Boss PSA and can fry if they aren't connected to something else first!

Nice score.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh. Thanks for the heads up. :yesway: I never use od pedals live so it probably wont get used much and just be battery powered but just incase, that's good to know.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Man, those old Boss SD-1 pedals are the shit. They sound godly in front of a JCM800.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Dethphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Mmm... SG-1... I put that shot on everything!

·
Registered
371 Posts
:lol: Yeah, I asked the other guitarist in my band if he had a spare od pedal that I could try out with my little Jet City JCA20H and he gave me the SD-1 and an old ProCo Rat(that is pretty awesome too).
Both of those pedals could fetch a very pretty penny.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
There's a quick mod you can do to the 12V pedals that tricks them into looking for a 9v power supply. I did it to my HM-2 and it works flawlessly.

If the pedal has a little sticker that says "Use BOSS ACA Adaptor only", then the mod is in order.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
yeah, they're wacky. I'll run upstairs and grab my pedal and show you the mod. It just involves soldering a jumper on. For some reason, Boss Decided that they were going to make the pedal run off a 12v supply or a 9v battery, for reasons unknown. Maybe the 9v supplies at the time were in short supply? It made no sense to me either when I got the HM-2, but after about an hour of hair-pulling, I worked something out that... uh... worked.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
hm. I got the pics, but the SD-1 and the HM-2 don't use the same PCB, so i don't know if a pic will be enough... I found a schematic for each, though, so I'm gonna sift through them and see if I can find something that will work. The power stages should be the same, though... it's got something to do with a diode in there.

EDIT: This is the HM-2 I have.

The mod is clearly visible.

Reactions: DonBot

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
okay, the jumper I installed in the HM-2 bypasses a 330ohm resistor and a yellow-striped diode that i cant read without desoldering it. one of the terminals I soldered to has a blue wire coming out, which leads to the power jack, and the other has a yellow, which, considering it runs to the "input" jack, is probably the power disconnect.

from the low-res pics I can find online of the Japanese SD-1, the Blue on mine looks to correspond to a Green on yours. Follow that green wire to the PCB, and it should lead you to a resistor and diode wired in series. Those SHOULD be the ones you want to bypass to the input trigger. If you pull it apart and take a pic or two of the innards in nice hi-res shots, it would make it easier for me to give an exact answer.

I wish I could tell you why Boss thought this was a good idea.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well shit. Anybody know where I can get a replacement switch for one of these? Mine seems to have crapped out and wont turn off. :erk:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts