Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
:eek:

Also, anyone that thinks that left hand pizzicato stuff is like a hammer-on on a guitar, think again.

Ridiculous display of proficiency there.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
For the other side of classical "shred" I present the extremely emotive and melodic Elgar Cello Concerto Mvt 1 - Adagio/Moderato.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The cello is quite possible the best instrument on the planet. Yes, I said that in a guitar forum.

And 3:50 into the Paganini video i peed in my pants.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
:yesway: The double stops in that Paganini performance were the most impressive part of it for me. Every one sounds pitch perfect.

Heifetz is pretty much my standard reference for the Romantic violin repertoire. His '50s recordings of the Brahms, Beethoven and Mendelsohn concertos are the ones I go to first. His earlier 78s of those from the '30s are great too, but the recording quality obviously isn't the same.

Heifetz had a piercing tone that sometimes gets to be too much, so I'll go for Perlman's versions. In the Russian repertoire, I tend to prefer David Oistrakh's recordings, just because he had such an amazing feel for the music of Prokofiev and Shostakovich.

As for great cellists, I'm certainly a fan of Du Pre, but Emanuel Feuermann's classic recordings inspire me. Check out the second piece in this video at 5:27 if you want to be blown away by unbelievable technique.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
@ jacksonplayer

Yeah, the double-stops and artificial harmonics really shocked me.

As for the Elgar, I was more looking for that particular piece than a particular cellist, although I like her version better than the Yo-Yo Ma one on Youtube. Feuermann is amazing.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
I haven't been familiar with the Elgar cello concerto. Very solemn and 'Elgarian'. :lol:

I'd only been acquainted with his violin concerto, of which I have a very nice Heifetz recording from the '30s.

Jacqueline Du Pre might not have been as 'pure' as some of the other great cellists, but her playing had such an amazing singing quality about it. It really jumps out at you. I don't think I still have it, but I'm pretty sure I used to have her EMI CD that paired the Dvorak and Schumann concertos.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Wow. He's so aggressive. It's easy to watch players like this and see where Yngwie got it from.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts