Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after searching for months trying to find some transformers to build a 1u power amp I gave up as it was going to cost more for the transformers alone than just bloody buying one.

Not arrived yet but here are some photos and a video from the listing.

The video describes it far better than I could.

Musical instrument Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory Wood Audio equipment

Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory Wood Rectangle

Kitchen appliance Circuit component Audio equipment Gas Computer hardware

Circuit component Electronic instrument Audio equipment Computer hardware Electrical wiring

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well after searching for months trying to find some transformers to build a 1u power amp I gave up as it was going to cost more for the transformers alone than just bloody buying one.

Not arrived yet but here are some photos and a video from the listing.

The video describes it far better than I could.

View attachment 27362
View attachment 27364
View attachment 27360
View attachment 27358

That looks killer, congrats. Was that a custom order?
It was. I had an order in myself but it got cancelled due to Covid making Garland unable to get the transformers to do it but luckily this one popped up on reverb the other day so I snagged it.

Only difference that mine was going to have is remote switchable depth/voicing & half power.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So this came in. I haven't had much chance to play with it but it sounds great with the triaxis and gsp1101.

Only niggle I have is the depth toggle. Its meant to be 10%-100%-off according to old emails I have from Garland. However it seems more like 90-100-off.

So I'm guessing the previous owner really liked low end and adjusted the trimpot for the settings I'll have a dig around when I have more time with it.

Nailing those early metallica sounds. Had to shut it off before recording anything or taking photos as it was my sons bedtime according according to the wife. Personally I think he should stay up a couple more hours.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had this a couple of days now but not had a lot of chance to play with it beyond initial tests.

It's ideal for my needs mostly being 1u, mono & not el84!

It's very clear and most of all has great low end response which is essential for the metal I play. As a bonus it pairs very well with the Triaxis.

It's very simple when it comes to controls a 3 way toggle for depth which is off/100%/90% I'm going to tweak the final value as its too high for my liking and far too similar to the other option. Luckily there's a trim pot specifically for this purpose.

Then the usual presence & master then another toggle to switch between modern /vintage voicing.

I'll be repurposing the parallel speaker Jack's to make the depth & voicing remote switchable via the triaxis control Jack's.

While I'm in there I will rewire the mains for 240v.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
That is a TIGHT looking rack! What kind of transformers are those? I've seen them in preamps before (or what looks like them at least) but I haven't seen them in power amps.

Is it the same thing as this in the Rocktron Piranha:

Or this in the Triaxis?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a TIGHT looking rack! What kind of transformers are those? I've seen them in preamps before (or what looks like them at least) but I haven't seen them in power amps.

Is it the same thing as this in the Rocktron Piranha:

Or this in the Triaxis?

They're torroidal transformers. Laney use them in a fair few amps.

They're the thing that causes me to not build one myself. I could only find ones that were 2-3mm too tall to fit or I had to order 50 sets

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Liking it so far?
Loving it so far. Exactly what I needed and matches really well with the triaxis +gsp1101 combo.

Unfortunately I've fried the OT. Need to check over my speaker cables and held etc to see what went wrong and fix it.

Garland are being great and sorting me a replacement OT out though so hopefully it won't be out of action too long.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Awesome! I'm getting a new power amp for my AxeFx. Should be doing a NAD thread later today if UPS is to be believed...

I mean, I love the tone of the 2:90, and I love the versatility of the RT2/50, but I'm trying to make a 4sp rack that's light and easy to carry around!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.