Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the downsized country/rock pedalboard plan well under way, another component arrives to daddy.

Fulltone Secret Freq.

Yes I have enough drive pedals but eh, one more doesn't hurt... unless I put them all in a sack and swing it over somebody's head. :lol: In this case, all my other OD and distortion pedals are already assigned to other rigs, studio duties and otherwise. And for this purpose, I wanted to replace 2 drives with 1, currently I want my Gigs Boson to say at my main rig and my Heat Blaster is a little too strong for the country/rock gig. The Secret Freq not only ticks all the boxes, but this has a sort of classic amp vibe that's really apparent when you're adjusting your picking attack. And it does a decent job at that AC30 tone.

Overall, really cool pedal.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
So this one is more AC30 whereas the DLS is Marshall?

Congrats, I think :lol:

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So this one is more AC30 whereas the DLS is Marshall?
Well, maybe not in those terms, but it inspired me to play a bunch of Brian May-esque stuff so... :lol:

Also the frequency control is really wide. It can go so mid heavy it's practically an instant half cocked wah.

·
I Am The Tweaker
490 Posts
Do you use it as a boost for high gain at all ? I know with the Fulltone pedals I have, the Full Drive 3 is ok but the GT-500's "boost" side tends to make things a bit 'boomy' / 'wooly'. Just curious if you've tried other Fulltones as a boost and what kind of results you've had.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the Secret Freq, I don't use it as a boost for high gain. For the country/rock gig, this will be my prime source for dirty rhythms and solos. I've got another drive in the rig, but's it's a Klone so it's set on light settings just to add more glow in my clean tone.

I've tried the OCD, and it's a great boost, great buffer and even works great as a standalone distortion. I was shopping through a bunch of boosts a while back and it came down to the OCD, and the Free The Tone Gigs Boson. I liked the Gigs Boson more so it won. In fact, I loved that brand so much I bought 8 more of their stuff. :lol:

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Nice one! I have been curious about this one for a while. This, and the Plimsoul.
Our other guitarist uses the OCD as main distortion sound, which works really well. (a bit too "round" maybe for me/my taste)

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I actually use my OCD at lower gain settings, since I don't need a lot of breakup. We tried the plimsoul and the secret freq with a plexi style amp and while it sounded good, it just didn't sound quite like what we wanted. The guitarist before me used a DLS with his JCM800. That being said, when I've had the time I've turned up the dirt on the OCD and really liked what I got from it.

I definitely understand how people end up with 5 dirt pedals :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I actually use my OCD at lower gain settings, since I don't need a lot of breakup. We tried the plimsoul and the secret freq with a plexi style amp and while it sounded good, it just didn't sound quite like what we wanted. The guitarist before me used a DLS with his JCM800. That being said, when I've had the time I've turned up the dirt on the OCD and really liked what I got from it.

I definitely understand how people end up with 5 dirt pedals :lol:
Why would you run a DLS into a Marshall?

:xzibit:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts