Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

So here's the story:

I had the Crunchlab bridge and Liquifire neck in my 1527 for some while, and I loved it. Then I got a 2027 that had crappy stock pickups, so I had an idea.

I wanted to take the CL LF out of my 1527 and put it in my 2027 for a more versatile guitar, and then put D-Activators in my 1527 for a metal guitar!

So thats what I did.

I made a video so people (Soops) can try to gauge what the pickups sound like. I didn't record it in Reaper, because I don't have a mic, and I figured the cab impulse would color it too much, so I just used the camera sound, so sorry if it is kinda weird. Also, the volume is low so the camera wouldn't clip out. SO TURN THEM SHITZ UP! I CANT HEAR YOU OUT MY LEFT HEADPHONE TURN THEM SHITZ UP!

Also, sorry about the crappy playing. This is the first thing I did when I got home from work and it is mostly random noodling (or Dave-ing?)

Should give you an idea of the difference though :yesway:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
First, thank you.

Second, very nice playing indeed.

Third, I found myself preferring the D-Activators overall. The CrunchLab/LiquiFire brought out more pick attack I thought, and might perhaps be more "open" and brought out individual notes in chords better, but they didn't stand up to your punishing rhythm riffs nearly as cleanly and I did not like the clean tones. I felt like the 2027 was breaking up the amp faster than the 1527 D-Activators. Overall lead tone and sustain for each was pleasing.

Very well done, especially for a camcorder video!

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First, thank you.

Second, very nice playing indeed.

Third, I found myself preferring the D-Activators overall. The CrunchLab/LiquiFire brought out more pick attack I thought, and might perhaps be more "open" and brought out individual notes in chords better, but they didn't stand up to your punishing rhythm riffs nearly as cleanly and I did not like the clean tones. I felt like the 2027 was breaking up the amp faster than the 1527 D-Activators. Overall lead tone and sustain for each was pleasing.

Very well done, especially for a camcorder video!
Thats pretty much exactly how I feel about it, except the cleans on the Crunchlab/Liquifire combo are good, better than the D-Activators in my opinion. I think the camcorder just gets all shit with any high volume, and I actually turned up the volume a bit before the 2027 vid because I was worried about it being to low.

The D-Activators are definitely much more defined, and are GREAT for high gain stuff. I am really impressed with these pickups for sure. Great aggressive riffing pickups, very clear.

The Crunch lab is awesome for full chords, and is a bit more versatile. That is why I put them in the 2027, because overall it is a more versatile guitar.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Thats pretty much exactly how I feel about it, except the cleans on the Crunchlab/Liquifire combo are good, better than the D-Activators in my opinion. I think the camcorder just gets all shit with any high volume, and I actually turned up the volume a bit before the 2027 vid because I was worried about it being to low.
Ah. That is unfair.

DO IT AGAIN. :scream: :wub:

Well now I'm just flat-out confuzzled.

Here's some random **** I found on YouTube doing a Blaze vs. D-Activator comparison. :wub: Again, the D-Activators are pretty damn clear at high gain.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Later tonight I will to cleans through my interface using the ENGL as a preamp and Recabinet as the cab impulse. Hopefully the impulse doesn't color it too much, but you should be able to tell the difference in voicing at least if I do that.

Also that **** with the Sherman forgot to have him paint the other half of his guitar. What a tool.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Later tonight I will to cleans through my interface using the ENGL as a preamp and Recabinet as the cab impulse. Hopefully the impulse doesn't color it too much, but you should be able to tell the difference in voicing at least if I do that.
You're a real sweetheart. :leghump:

I'm slammed at the moment (I need to close MGSpy... damn you, MGSpy!) but I intend on trying to get a good Powerball tone for you out of my djerkbox. I'll try to imitate what you have going on in that video. I won't be able to play nearly as well as you.

Here's a clip of a guy doing some fast rhythms through the Powerball sim (Bogner cab sim with a condenser mic):

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, here are the cleans for the 1527 with D-Activators first, then at 0:55, I switch to the 2027 with CrunchLab Liquifire.

Each test starts at the far bridge position, and then I work the 5-way one back until I get to the neck.

Both guitars are wired like this:

http://www.dimarzio.com//media/diagrams/E.pdf

I think the cab impulse may take a bit of the character out of the pickups, but this is the best I can do. Sorry.

Might have to give soundcloud an hour to catch up. Its been pretty lame :(

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Random ****. :lol:

Sean - great playing! A Ph.D. mining shredder. :lol: Go figure. Always love to hear these kinds of comparisons when it comes to gear, too.

I never could vibe with the DA7 bridge in my 2027. I dunno. :shrug: Got an EVO 7, and haven't looked back. To me, it's kind of the best of both worlds in tone to the DA sounds and the mid-ier sound of that CL7.

Soop - the wood of those two guitars is going to affect the sound, too. (I know you already realize that.) The 2027 is a naturally dark sounding guitar right off the bat. Kind of like a Les Paul... but kinda not. It's sorta unique, all that mahogany. (And it's heavy mahogany. Not light, like some mahogany guitars. My Ibanez bass is mahogany and light as shit.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts