Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Finally installed a set of BKP Calibrated Warpigs with a Ceramic in the bridge.

They're savage as hell. Love them. The lead tones are insane on the bridge. Neck is similar to a liquifire but a little more dynamic.

The Warpig is tighter than the Blaze in the low end with more prominent mid section that cuts better. The Warpig also has amazing clarity.

Here's some sound clip. Please excuse the crap playing. :metal::yesway::shred:

Mix is exactly the same, EQ on the tracks are exactly the same, plugins are exactly the same.

Post processing for the guitars:
Slate VTM
Pro Q2 (high pass at 100hz, low pass at 12khz)
Pro MB

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Gotta disagree with Rocka on this... 'course there are a ton of variables in the way we hear things.

I thought the pigs were more articulate - I thought notes were a bit more distinct, there was not as much "wall of sound" getting in the way. I also thought the palm mutes sounded tighter, but that could be my imagination.

Just my take.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup agreed with both of you.

C-Pig is tighter, less low end, more mids, better strings separation.

I know there's a lot of love for the Blaze around these parts, though it is a great pickup, it's not match for the C-Pig haha

I didn't include some leads on the bridge here but man, the lead tones are out of this world.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
I can't really hear much difference between them. Maybe a tiny (like really tiny) bit more treble on the BK. I bet if you nudged the treble control on the amp a hair on the Blaze version, I wouldn't be able to tell the changes if you made a patchwork of the two versions. But that's some tight playing, dude! The bits with the china sounded a bit like a more common break down, and I didn't think I was going to dig it, but the riffing that follows gets really groovy. Excellent stuff!

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Same here...it's more organic/warm/fat to my ears..ie more musical. But to each their own. Nice bunch of riffs though :yesway:

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
The Pig sounds tighter to me, but otherwise, they both sound nice - and great riffs, BTW.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't really hear much difference between them. Maybe a tiny (like really tiny) bit more treble on the BK. I bet if you nudged the treble control on the amp a hair on the Blaze version, I wouldn't be able to tell the changes if you made a patchwork of the two versions. But that's some tight playing, dude! The bits with the china sounded a bit like a more common break down, and I didn't think I was going to dig it, but the riffing that follows gets really groovy. Excellent stuff!
Thanks man!

The Blaze fits better with the bass guitar, and it has a cool harmonic haze going on, but the Warpig was clearer and tighter. Blaze wins for me, personally.
Thanks, interesting opinion

Same here...it's more organic/warm/fat to my ears..ie more musical. But to each their own. Nice bunch of riffs though :yesway:
Agreed, thanks!

The Pig sounds tighter to me, but otherwise, they both sound nice - and great riffs, BTW.
Yes sir, thanks!

Thanks guys. Verdict seems like most people like the C-Pig over the Blaze for the reasons I mentioned however no one seems to dislike any by a large margin. Both great pickups.

Unfortunately my whole album is already tracked and there's no way I'm going to re-track everything with the BKP's haha

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I liked them both. They are definitely similar, but I think the Blaze has a "sharper" sound. I thought the Blaze's sound was slightly more typical for modern metal, while the War Pig had more "openness," I guess you'd call it. More air? I think I vastly prefer the War Pigs for fuller chords since you could hear each individual string/note more clearly. And those mids worked for the atmosphere in the song.

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
I can see why focussing on just the guitar the Pig would get more love, but it felt like the Blaze found it's place in the mix a bit better to my ears.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
This is why I love the C-Pig in my 570. The focused bass and strong mids really work with the basswood body to make a satisfying range of sounds.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I liked them both. They are definitely similar, but I think the Blaze has a "sharper" sound. I thought the Blaze's sound was slightly more typical for modern metal, while the War Pig had more "openness," I guess you'd call it. More air? I think I vastly prefer the War Pigs for fuller chords since you could hear each individual string/note more clearly. And those mids worked for the atmosphere in the song.
Yes sir!

I can see why focussing on just the guitar the Pig would get more love, but it felt like the Blaze found it's place in the mix a bit better to my ears.
Interesting

This is why I love the C-Pig in my 570. The focused bass and strong mids really work with the basswood body to make a satisfying range of sounds.
It's an awesome pickup! The cleans are awesome, the leads are amazing, and the rhythm is devastating haha

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Blaze sounds way better in the mix through both monitors and Over-ears IMHO, something about the C-Pig doesn't really blend in with the rest

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Riffs so tasty, you don't even need to add salt.
Thanks man! Album is almost done being recorded, just the vocals for a few songs left! :)

The Blaze sounds way better in the mix through both monitors and Over-ears IMHO, something about the C-Pig doesn't really blend in with the rest
Interesting. This could be due to the fact that the mix was done using the Blazes. Then I just reamped when I got the Warpigs installed and left everything as is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts