Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I went and did it. Short picstory, and I wanted to show people how fucking awesome Banjomike on ebay is.

What do we have here?

Need a tool to open this...

Peanuts! Fuck!

Check out all the goodies!

Wait, didn't I buy something? Oh yeah...

Bye bye Blackouts, you were good, but you're just not nice, using those batteries! :lol:

"Old wiring pic"(forgot to take one)

New wiring:

Finished:

[Yes, I went to the solid black knobs.:lol:]

These pickups are pretty nice, the Liquifire is less compressed than the blackout neck, more overtones. The Crunchlab is a little noisy, not near as bad as the DS7 I had(maybe they worked out the bugs?). It's a got a lot more mids than the BO, which I love. The bass is a bit big though, I might try spinning it around to see how that sounds.

Overall I'm glad I made the switch, as I'll never have to worry about the battery dieing and my tone going to shit because of it. It's also nice that all my guitars have fucking Dimarzios now. :fawk:

·
EMERRRRRRRY!
720 Posts
Banjomikez is the shit! :yesway: That looks great, the new JPs sound awesome with those pickups in there so I'd bet in that guitar they sound killer too. :agreed: Definitely dig the Crunchlab more than the drop-sonic too!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
If the Crunchlab is anything like the DS7, it will sound less bassy rotated 180 degrees.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Nice :yesway: Banjomikez from ebay is awesome to deal with... I've pondered getting something cheap like a Squier Strat just to plaster with all the stickers he sends with his orders :lol:

·
EMERRRRRRRY!
720 Posts
If the Crunchlab is anything like the DS7, it will sound less bassy rotated 180 degrees.
I did this with a d-sonic myself and IIRC the mids are affected as well (more scooped sounding with the bar towards the bridge).

·
ENGLErnieBallGraphTechBKP
306 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPod Touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Being an EMG fan, I recommend Vapextech batteries for active pups. They have the power and stamina of Duracell batteries but rechargeable. I only need to charge them once a month for a couple of hours, and like strings, always keep a spare on standby in the case anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Cool! I've got that combo in my incoming Rico Jr. 7 so I'm always interested to see what people think.
BanjoMikz is where I always get my (non BK) pickups from too.
Awesome service from those guys.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is what I'm hoping for, little tighter bass...

I did this with a d-sonic myself and IIRC the mids are affected as well (more scooped sounding with the bar towards the bridge).
...and this is why I haven't done it yet. :lol:

Well, that and I'd have to open the cavity and clip those zipties to get enough cable.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, flipped the pickup over, and it sounds really hollow, in a not good way. :lol: It's back to "blade to the neck" orientation for good. I lowered it a bit though, which cleaned it up.

I also back-to-backed this guitar vs my 2 downtuned RGs(one in D, one in C) and it sounds equal to them now, not overboard in the low-end. I can probably tune one of them up to Eb and put the Xiphos in a lower tuning now. :yesway: I think a lot of my issues lately have been from the huge change in amps. :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts