Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first, behold! Behold how the mighty RFR finish sees my camera sensor, flexes at it, and renders as more of a muted orange on film, because it's SO damned eye-(and-sensor)-searing! The still is actually my iPhone, which handles it better.

Honestly, I don't know if Ibanez changed the V7/V8 in recent years (this is a '13), but they're not BAD sounding stock pickups - big, thick, and hot. The main reason I swapped them was I wanted something over the top.

The Evo2 in the bridge is fun - very different from my usual sort of pickup, kind of crunchy and hairy, lots of high-end sizzle. For this guitar, it fits. I almost went full Evo, but thought this one might be better for me and so far I have no regrets. The Evo single, well, mates nicely with the other humbuckers when split, and it's not like I'm really going to be playing much SRV on this. :lol: And the neck Evolution, much as I tried to like it, is on its way back to Dimarzio for a PAF Pro. It's just sort of dull, lower-middy, and Vai-ish, and the more I played it the more I kept wishing it was a PAF Pro.

There are indicated breakpoints in the video description if you want to quickly jump around, on Youtube. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The camera sensor/focus getting shit on constantly by the RFR finish makes this video 100% cooler. :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
The mids are a bit stronger, but they feel pushed down a bit, less high mids and more low mids, which makes it feel a little less hairy, and it's a little bit more crisp (maybe clear is a better word?) in the high end. The output is toned down a little bit (it's still hot as fuck lol), which keeps that low mid boost from getting mushy. If you like either, you're apt to like the other.

Also, if you ever have a Les Paul fall into your lap and you wanna hurt people and have a good time, the evo is ridiculously fun in an LP, and it gives old snobs aneurisms to boot :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would be good if you had the comparisons next to each other so one dont have to manually click back and fourth on the video timeline.

Example:
I've done that before - editing video position-by-position is a royal pain in the dick. :lol: Instead, I just have shortcuts for the start of the clean tone sections for each pickup set, then the start of the distorted sections, so you can jump quickly between them.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Thats ok, just wanted to be regularly complainy as always ;)

I listened, but I can't get over that I have to find the specific parts so I'm concentrating more on finding the spots than just listening... so I'm not sure if I hear enough difference because the clicking back and fourth and fidning the right spots is distracting

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats ok, just wanted to be regularly complainy as always ;)

I listened, but I can't get over that I have to find the specific parts so I'm concentrating more on finding the spots than just listening... so I'm not sure if I hear enough difference because the clicking back and fourth and fidning the right spots is distracting
Let's be honest, you're not the target audience anyway. The guitar isn't white, and there's no superglue to be seen. ;)

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, I finally listened to that video (I was at work earlier), and one, I honestly couldn't hear a difference between those two on a very good monitoring chain, and two I couldn't even hear cut points where two takes were spliced together, which kind of makes me suspicious of that whole comparison. :lol: Yeah, I know they did a little solo at the end, but doing it in a mix like that is tough, too. Idunno, man. I'm gonna stand by my approach here. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Evo pickups are the bomb! It's super hard to tell the difference in the video IMO, but having owned both pickup sets, the sound of each set when you're actually in the room playing the guitar is pretty night and day, from my experience.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I'm hearing additional depth and sweetness in the Evo2. "Bold and strident" is what I'd call them.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you always have the timespots in the descriptions? If so I missed that bigtime, my apologies :ugh:
I don't remember for sure, but I THINK I added them after your comment. :lol: I'd meant to do it earlier, however.

Evo pickups are the bomb! It's super hard to tell the difference in the video IMO, but having owned both pickup sets, the sound of each set when you're actually in the room playing the guitar is pretty night and day, from my experience.
I'm enjoying the Evo 2, more so backed off a hair from where I had it in this video, but the Evo neck is back at Dimarzio, being exchanged for a PAF Pro. It's just got that flat, lower middy thing to it that I always associate with Vai under gain and, well, I just kept wishing it was a PAF Pro. I love that pickup.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:lol:

A STRIKING RESEMBLANCE SIR!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts