Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the day I turn 29 was spent sick ridden in bed. That sucked a lot. :squint: The next day events wasn't exactly beyond my control either (couldn't cancel a gig nor cancel a lesson in the other side of Victoria), so I took full advantage of the long hour drive. :idea:

I told my student to meet me at the shop I helped her get her first guitar. She had scouted there the day before so I knew this was available so I walked in there bought the thing, told her to stop staring at that ESP Eclispse she so badly wanted and go to her house for her lessons.

As for what I bought, it's this:

Vox Ice 9 Overdrive.

Because I was scheduled to play a gig back near my house (more driving), I also got to use this live. I used it to replace my Tube Screamer and hot damn, this thing ROARS. The more switch adds an extra 14db to your sound without colouring the tone at all. It's great. More testing with future band practices and this may replace my TS9 full time...

:cool: :cool:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

Did the boost tighten things up as much as ts9s usually do?

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It did. And that tone knob is quite the super sensitive control over it too. I feared that it wouldn't considering Satch's sound and that I've actually tried to use my Satchurator in the same vein a while back, with negative results.

Though I'll admit that I've not yet fully evaluated what this thing is truly capable of. I'll report more after the next few practices.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

That would be great, thanks man. Out of curiosity, what kind of stuff are you playing?

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

I play in various bands all different styles. But I'm using this pedal for my thrash metal band and an up and coming pop rock band with not too distorted Drop-A 7 strings. Both bands will have different applications for this pedal. I'm greedy I know. :lol:

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, after various practice runs and a few gigs, it looks like the Ice 9 is winning over the TS9.

I'm not so sure how to describe it, but I seem to like how this compresses my tone more than the TS. It also responds better to my clean channel more. I know a lot of guys like a bit of dirt in their cleans, but depending on which band I'm playing, I'm a bit more picky. This teamed with my stock Xiphos, the cleans just sound pristine.

My settings haven't really changed since that photo, so it's almost set to get a similar tone to what my TS already does. But the tone on this just sound rounder, yet remains perfectly tight for thrash rhythm. So for me, that likes my guitar sound naturally dark, this is the best of both worlds. Also, the More switch (14db boost) really helps a lot depending on certain venues.

The big test comes tomorrow with our show opening for Testament. :metal:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts