Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... Alright, so it was technically yesterday that I got it :lol:

But yes, after 4 years of "making do" with the phones I could get on the plan I'm on, I decided that this was the year to change that, seeing as how I've always used them as personal entertainment centres (or tried to :lol:), and organisers while out and about.

The choice I came down to was (surprise surprise) the HTC Desire HD and the iPhone 4. Both great phones, both had things that are absolutely awesome about them, and both had things I was less than keen on (some pretty bad stories about battery life on the HTC and a smaller app store, the size and look of the iPhone 4 were a turn off, and I'm generally not too fussed on the OS).

In the end I decided to lower my plan a bit and get....

:metal:

The size of it and the OS were what won me over. I tried out the older model (the normal Desire) at work and really enjoyed using it, so I bit the bullet and grabbed the new one.

So far so good. I agree that the battery life isn't real good, but I didn't expect much courtesy of the internet :lol: The OS is really agreeing with me, and there are a lot of really nice free apps to use in the Android store. I also got to replace my wallet with a nice leather case off eBay which fits the phone as well :woot:

No hate for the iPhone at all, just happened to like this a bit better :)

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
that will be a great phone.

really, the android market is starting to really get going, and you won't notice a difference in number of apps. trust me, you'll fill up your memory long before you can't find an app your looking for.

lots of good ones to elongate battery life if your interested too :yesway:

happy NPD!

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
I would rather have waited for the tegra 2 devices that are going to pop up now if I were you. Looks crazy fast:

Still a great phone though. I'm still more than happy enough with the "old" desire. But it can never be too fast you know :p

If you're looking for awesome apps I recommend these:
LauncherPro
Dialer one
PlayerPro
Handcent
NewsRob
Tasker

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:shrug: I liked it plenty, and even going by that video I prefer the look of the Desire HD a lot better...

I'm not a huge stickler for how fancy the phone is, but I wanted something that could be more or less a miniature laptop while I'm away from it (so basic text documents, PDF viewing, some gaming (I didn't even realise you could get emulators on this thing... such a bonus :lol: ), net connection etc.. all of which my old Samsung F-480 was shit at doing, and it had started to die anyway.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Root that thing and put AutoKiller Memory Optimizer (which is NOT a task killer, but rather, allows you to tweak how the OS handles it's management) and AutoStarts.

:metal:

I would rather have waited for the tegra 2 devices that are going to pop up now if I were you. Looks crazy fast:
YouTube - Optimus 2X vs iPhone4_YouTube speed
As nice and crazy fast as they are, my HTC Incredible is still way more powerful than i'll ever need it to be :lol:

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
I'm not happy until the app is loaded before my finger reach the screen to press it :lol:

I agree on the htc design though. Rough and though, or in other words... metal! :metal:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Desire HD is a pretty solid phone, should be pretty happy with it. I just returned my Droid X, I'll wait until the Tegra 2 phones are out, tough it out on my shitty old Droid.

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:metal: That's the plan (be happy with it :lol:). I was (still am, really) a total n00b when it comes to this kind of thing, but so far so good.

Got FF7 and FF8 working on here which is absolutely fucking awesome, and some of my music to boot. I think the battery life is better than I expected (it will last all night and all day without any problems, with a bit of text messaging and between one and two hours gaming on there depending on the day), and it won't be dead. I've yet to get it to go totally dead, the lowest I've let it get so far is 35% IIRC.

I'll be draining it tonight and tomorrow :yesway:

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:metal: That's the plan (be happy with it :lol:). I was (still am, really) a total n00b when it comes to this kind of thing, but so far so good.

Got FF7 and FF8 working on here which is absolutely fucking awesome, and some of my music to boot. I think the battery life is better than I expected (it will last all night and all day without any problems, with a bit of text messaging and between one and two hours gaming on there depending on the day), and it won't be dead. I've yet to get it to go totally dead, the lowest I've let it get so far is 35% IIRC.

I'll be draining it tonight and tomorrow :yesway:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts