Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know the deal. Bought a used guitar, past owner was clearly one of the lowest common denominator mouth breather types who enjoyed the unparalleled clarity, searing harmonics, and ultra tight response of EMG 81s. Traits I've found boring over time.

These are coming out...

And something *much* more refined and gentlemanly is going in.

Still waiting on EMGs response as to whether they make some of the more non standard options (Whichever one the SA in a humbucker housing is) in brushed gold (which looks fantastic) for the neck, as I can't find it at retailers. I briefly contemplated going for the newer 56/whatever set for sweet cred points, but then I remembered that I find the idea of a company softening up a timeless classic to appeal to a market exclusively based on vaguely nebulous descriptors and brand name recognition distasteful at best.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's going to look ridiculous. I was briefly contemplated going gold for the pickguard, but I'm actually going black andonized aluminum with gold screws.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
That'll look KILLER, especially with the black anodized pickguard.

Are those fine-tuner tailpieces not made any more? I thought i remembered seeing them in the StewMac catalog, and thought it was a Schaller product, but maybe i was mistaken. Does Gibson still use them on Lucilles?

The EMG model that's essentially an "S" in a humbucker housing is the "H". And i think the "HA" is the SA in a humbucker housing. Or you could go with an 89 for a switchable-mode pickup in the neck. And yes, they seem to be available with the brushed metal caps.

EMG Pickups / HA / Active / Humbucking / Guitar / Electric Guitar Pickups, Bass Guitar Pickups, Acoustic Guitar Pickups

The 89 and 81TW, however, aren't available with the metal covers.

DING! Found the tailpiece, too, if you're doing a hardware refresh:

Gibson Accessories TP-6 Tailpiece w/ Fine Tuners, Studs & Inserts - Gold | Sweetwater.com

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Gibson still sell them, they're a TP-6. You can get just the screws for them too.

Ooops, :ninja:

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Buys an absolute killer Gibson explorer= WIN!

Puts EMG's in it= :picard:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That'll look KILLER, especially with the black anodized pickguard.

Are those fine-tuner tailpieces not made any more? I thought i remembered seeing them in the StewMac catalog, and thought it was a Schaller product, but maybe i was mistaken. Does Gibson still use them on Lucilles?

The EMG model that's essentially an "S" in a humbucker housing is the "H". And i think the "HA" is the SA in a humbucker housing. Or you could go with an 89 for a switchable-mode pickup in the neck. And yes, they seem to be available with the brushed metal caps.

EMG Pickups / HA / Active / Humbucking / Guitar / Electric Guitar Pickups, Bass Guitar Pickups, Acoustic Guitar Pickups

The 89 and 81TW, however, aren't available with the metal covers.

DING! Found the tailpiece, too, if you're doing a hardware refresh:

Gibson Accessories TP-6 Tailpiece w/ Fine Tuners, Studs & Inserts - Gold | Sweetwater.com
Thanks for the link! The fine tuner pieces were next on my to do list. It only came with two really tarnished screws. They are thinner than OFR or Schaller FR ones. I tried to pop in a set I had from a spare floyd laying around and it wasn't having it.

89 is my backup choice. Or 89r. Haven't decided which. I think the 89 is certainly offered in the new snazzy brushed gold. Still deciding whether having the single coil closer to the neck or closer to the middle is better for cleans.

However, I absolutely *hate* EMG humbuckers for leads. Like, absolutely detest them. This isn't really a "lead" guitar to me, so it's a non issue on the bridge. The 81 is better than the 85 in the neck, but I would rather listen to MIDI than an 85 in the neck for leads. I love the single coils for leads, and would rather not have to bother with a push pull or paying the slight upcharge for an 89 if I could get the HA or H in brushed gold. I've had 89s before, and I never even use the humbucker section.

I'm not actually sure if the single coils in humbucker housings are with the single coil section closer to the neck or the bridge, you have any idea on that?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You should really try the 57/66 combo. I think you'll be surprised.
I actually was going to, just tossed out the dig as a joke at the ridiculous pickup market.

I wasn't even going to go with EMGs honestly, but the 81 in this actually crushed every other pickup I had in other guitars, So I figured, pickups being impermanent and all, I would just go with it for a change of pace. As much as I love my Jacksons, this Explorer kind of crushes them tonally for rhythms. Which isn't really surprising, Explorers are a fuck ton of wood/mass compared to other guitars.

The gold was purely for aesthetics. :lol:

Considering the only thing I like playing on this is like, death/thrash riffs, the 81 was an obvious choice. I'm open to conceding the newer sets may have the upper hand in versatility.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Can't you wire it so that it'll be single coil when the button is pushed down so you'd never have to mess with it ?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nooooooooooooooooo

why dude. get a plank of wood and put an emg on it and leave the sweet explorer alone.

you bastard

Entombed used 81s on both Left Hand Path and Clandestine, clearly they are trve. TBH everything else I tried sucks with the HM2-ish pedal, which was a point in favor of the 81.

I'm still skeptical about it honestly, since I left EMGs behind a long time ago, but pickups are easy to change. So the only thing really damaged here is everyone's opinion of my awesome taste.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
So replacing an EMG with a EMG is removing the taint of EMG's? Im slow on the uptake or something, either way those new ones will look sick in there.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So replacing an EMG with a EMG is removing the taint of EMG's? Im slow on the uptake or something, either way those new ones will look sick in there.
I was just joking around with the people who take pickups way too seriously. :lol:

Sad to see opinions are less hardline these days. Back when I was younger, there were crowds of people who would look at you like you were retarded if you used EMGs. Mainly over the internet of course.

It was awesome. There was legitimate uproar about it. The EMG hate has died down, which is a shame, EMG users used to have their own drinking fountains and shit. They could only sit in specific parts of the bus and stuff like that.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I'm not actually sure if the single coils in humbucker housings are with the single coil section closer to the neck or the bridge, you have any idea on that?
Hmm… i have no idea, as i have almost no experience with EMGs at all. Might be worth a call or email to their tech support folks.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
I was just joking around with the people who take pickups way too seriously. :lol:

Sad to see opinions are less hardline these days. Back when I was younger, there were crowds of people who would look at you like you were retarded if you used EMGs. Mainly over the internet of course.

It was awesome. There was legitimate uproar about it. The EMG hate has died down, which is a shame, EMG users used to have their own drinking fountains and shit. They could only sit in specific parts of the bus and stuff like that.
Cool, so I AM slow on the uptake, no surprise. I never got the hate on them. I can see how anything can grow old but Ive enjoyed the ones I played.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts