Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May as well jump to the chase:

Chris was NOT happy. :lol:

Long story short, I liked the Lace Sensors that I've been using, but I was kind of bored - they've been in there something like ten years now. Meanwhile, after mentally judging people using mini blade 'buckers in Strats anywhere but the bridge for like my entire playing career, I was absolutely shocked to find out that Andy Timmons had been getting all those awesome Strat neck pickup sounds out of a Cruiser bridge in the neck position. So, when Max started taking orders through his shop here, I figured, what the hell, hook up a MG.org brother and try something new all at once.

Chris was going to come down yesterday to swap the neck humbucker in my UV, but in a change of plans I ended up going up to his buddy Tony's place, who happens to be a bit better with a soldering iron than Chris, and a LOT better than me. So, I drove up, we had a couple beers, did a few shots of tequila, jammed for a bit (Tony's a drummer), and then about 11 o'clock half in the bag got to work, Chris yelling and swearing and getting increasingly desperate and abusive and offering me ever-larger sums of money to just, please, for god's sake, stop.

That lasted until we plugged the Strat in to his Supreme 160 he leaves up at Tony's for drunken jamming. And, turns out the pickups sounded ungodly through it - an amp that's incapble of sounding like anything other than 80s thrash suddenly was doing Gilmour proud.

Initial impressions so far, now that the hangover has worn off (we got pretty deep into the tequila once we put the iron away) are good. I don't think they're quite as open as singlecoils clean, but they're awfully close. Playing blind I wouldn't know these were humbuckers. Flip to the gain channel, however, and it's a whole different story. I'm in new gear euphoria at the moment so I won't say anything definitively, but so far they sound almost exactly how I want a neck singlecoil to sound (which is weird, again, because they aren't singlecoils). They're very dynamically responsive, too - they handle like singlecoils in that the more you dig in, the more they scream. One of my few complaints with my Strat was that it always seemed a little crisper and more responsive when you hit it hard unplugged than plugged in, and I always wondered if that was the Lace Sensors. I'm guessing yes - this set is definitely a little more explosive, in a very good way.

And the bridge humbucker rules. It balances very well with the Cruisers tonally (it's hotter, but through a distorted amp if you flip over to the bridge and back it sounds very natural), it can get crunchy if you want it to, it's thick and singing otherwise, and harmonics just leap off it. I should have done this years ago.

For those of you wanting clips, I've done one better - a video of the guitar in action:

Apologies/sincerest flattery to Lyle, who's awesome slow jam (Slowdown?) was definitely in the back of my mind when I was coming up with this, hope you don't mind man. :D

So, I swapped the pickups in my Strat, and so far I'm a very happy man. :D

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
What pickups did you put in besides the cruiser?

and gorgeous tone is gorgeous. Start singing, get laid even more :lol:

I need to learn how to play like that :(

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
This proves two things:

A) Ugly Pickguard is Ugly
B) Drew can play his fucking ass off

Awesome job dude. Sounds outstanding. :yesway:
:agreed: on all counts.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
This proves two things:

A) Ugly Pickguard is Ugly
B) Drew can play his fucking ass off

Awesome job dude. Sounds outstanding. :yesway:
:agreed:

Drew can indeed play his ass off.

Did you wire that up like a stock Strat or do the Timmons wiring with 2 volumes and a tone?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys!

Budda - two cruisers, neck and middle, and an AT-1 Timmons sig in the bridge.

This is really one of the things that I love so much about strats - when I threw the Lace Sensors in it, back in, um... Must've been late 1999 or early 2000, they really fit who I was as a player pretty well. Great, sparkly cleans, vintage oriented but modern enough in design, and with them in the guitar it was a perfect blues machine. Over time I changed as a player, though, and I guess maybe that partly explains why I was a little bored. Yet, a couple other mods (most notably the Wilkinson) and then some quick work under Tony's soldering gun later, and the same guitar has been transformed into something that fits me much better as a player today - basically, a closet shred machine that still has a pretty sweet vintage voice. It's cool - strats are the perfect guitar to buy and mod the hell out of. :)

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:agreed:

Drew can indeed play his ass off.

Did you wire that up like a stock Strat or do the Timmons wiring with 2 volumes and a tone?
By the way, Eric, I couldn't hear half of what you were saying last night, I felt a bit bad, man. :(

Well, it's, um, some weird hybrid of none of the above, at the moment. :lol: Again, we were all pretty tanked, so while we shot for the Timmons, right now the first volume is a Master volume, the second controls just the middle pickup, and the tone just controls the bridge pickup. :lol: Not really a huge deal since for 99% of what I play all I need is a master volume, but I'll probably want to get it sorted out at some point, and when I do I might just go with the traditional wiring, after all, since it looks like I can't get a high-pass capacitor to work with the Timmons two volume setup.

Crucified, that's my Roadster. Go to youtube and read the video description, you lazy slacker. :fawk:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
By the way, Eric, I couldn't hear half of what you were saying last night, I felt a bit bad, man. :(

Well, it's, um, some weird hybrid of none of the above, at the moment. :lol: Again, we were all pretty tanked, so while we shot for the Timmons, right now the first volume is a Master volume, the second controls just the middle pickup, and the tone just controls the bridge pickup. :lol: Not really a huge deal since for 99% of what I play all I need is a master volume, but I'll probably want to get it sorted out at some point, and when I do I might just go with the traditional wiring, after all, since it looks like I can't get a high-pass capacitor to work with the Timmons two volume setup.
Actually I don't think I said as much as you think I did because I sat there basking in your drunken hijinks. So it's all good. :wub:

The Timmons wirings is an odd one. Regardless of whether or not you nailed it that guitar sounds perfect for your style of playing. :yesway:

Shame about that sparkly blue pickguard. :(

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shame about that sparkly blue pickguard. :(
Fuck you. :lol:

For anyone wondering, this is Warmoth's "Silver Pearloid." Yes, it has bluish highlights, but it's silver. And it looks badass with my Strat. :D

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.