Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my JB/Jazz set in my Les Paul Studio, but I had to find out what all the buzz about BKPs are so I purchased a Rebel Yell bridge off of an ss.org'er. I chose the Rebel Yell after watching Nolly's sweet shred video with one, perusing the BKP forums and briefly emailing Tim and Zimbloth.

Brief picstory:

Cardboard box permanently sealed in double layer of duct tape. I see what you did there. :spock:

NOT what I ordered!... :mad:

Much better. :squint:

And this is a real Rebel Yell.

Now that the history lesson is over... Basically the Rebel Yell is indeed very similar to a JB. I'd describe it as lower output despite having an Alnico 5 bar magnet and exhibiting a measured and claimed DC resistance of 14.5 K ohm (a new JB is spec'ed at 16.4 K ohm). With the lower output, it seems a bit more clear and chimey, and the upper midrange is a bit more smooth and fluid. This thing begs to scream blues and do balls-out rock chording.

While I was certainly prompted to listen for it, it does seem that the pickup exhibits a lot more in the way of pleasing harmonic overtones than the JB (or any other pickup I've played) does. Chords have a nice cohesive nature to them, while individual notes tend to sing very nicely. I'll admit, I'm not sure if I'm disappointed that the output isn't a bit higher - I've got my Peavey practice amp gain dimed and it's saturated but not as chunky as I'd wish for. It was pretty easy to balance the pup with my Jazz, but it's actually quite a bit closer to the strings. I'll have to plug it into my big rig on Saturday and see how it goes - I'm hoping to get a nice sustaining lead tone.

If I keep it, I'll have to remove the chrome cover. Would appreciate any input on how to do so safely, in addition to info on how that will change the sound. Doesn't jive with mah gold hardware. :nono:

EDIT: The clean tones are pretty damn nice - they actually mesh very well with the Jazz neck pickup. Something about the character of the pickup overall matches it quite well.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Nice!

a) DC Resistance doesn't really translate cleanly to volume or gain, but it can be an indicator. You have to remember that a handwound pickup will have it's own little quirks and foibles. I'd be surprised if the 'claimed' resistance was wrong though, Tim measures them before they go out.

b) The Rebel Yell isn't a particularly high gain pickup and wouldn't have been one of the first five pickups I'd name by BKP to do metal. That said, there versatility is unbridled, and I'm sure it'll surprise you through your big amp. At first I thought my Painkillers were shrill and lacking oomph through my practice combo, but once I ran them in anger through my 6505 you really see where that hi-fidelity and huge detail comes into play. It's like the first time you hear surround sound, or popping your ears after taking off in a plane. Everything just seems so much better. :lol:

c) covers can be removed, you'll need to unsolder those two spots between the baseplate and the cover and take it off VERY carefully. Best to heat it up with a hairdrier briefly around the edges in case any wax pulls windings with them. It isn't difficult but it can go wrong, and I'd leave it to a pro.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and I'd leave it to a pro.
Nein! :lol: I'll have to do my best. Do I need to wick up all the solder or just try to roll it onto my tip? Maybe I could get creative and modify the cover...

If the Rebel Yell really isn't the right answer and I need a bit more oomph, which BKP would have the same general tonal characteristics? Also, in a 7-string version, would it have a bit more output since it would have more copper and magnet? Can't wait to fire this up, and even if it's not br00tal it might be nice to keep as a "vintage hot" setup. It's just funny how the Jazz almost outdoes it in terms of hotness.

·
abides
851 Posts
Wicked, funny to see it was my video that prompted you to grab one.
It's definitely not a high-output pickup, it works great for me because I can basically use the input gain knob on my axe-fx to give me the necessary heat, while still retaining the dynamic range.
If you want a "same-but-hotter" pickup, check out the Nailbomb. IIRC the pickup that became the Nailbomb was originally going to be Steve Stevens' signature pickup (under a different name I'd presume), but Steve asked for something a little lower in output so Tim created what is now the RY and the NB got it's own place in the range.
That's not to say they're identical in voicing, but the NB definitely shares some of the dynamic range, open-ness and clarity of the RY, though to not quite the same extent. In return it's darker, fuller and grindier, as you'd expect from a hotter pickup.

I need to ask Tim sometime about 7- and 8-string pickup winds. Obviously the same number of winds on a 7 or 8 string bobbin as on a 6 would result in a higher DC, and on the flipside, matching the DC between them all would mean the 7 or 8 string pickups would be underwound in comparison. I wonder which way he does it.
Either, way the 7-string Rebel Yell I have sounds incredible :)

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'll see how it does through my XXX. I am going to get an Axe-FX soon, but my only problem would be if this is my backup guitar, will it be difficult to adjust between this setup and a guitar equipped with an Evo? That's why I quickly disavowed Blackouts - they crushed everything else.

But yeah dude, that Scar Symmetry solo you ripped out - obviously much of that is just your talent spilling out all over the video - but the clarity is what sold me. Also the BKP YouTube demo. The lush thickness of those chords. It's awesome. I suppose a boost of some kind is all I need to make that thing scream, so I can't wait to try it.

EDIT: This post makes it pretty clear what you're saying - brutality with clarity. Ug now I really can't wait. :(

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. Wow. This is an amazing pickup. If you like JB's, I'd say make sure you give this a try. I find it to have better cleans and better overall clarity, with a slightly darker sound, but no lack of edge or cut to the sound. And all I had to do was slap my Tube Screamer boost on to get back that extra sustain I was missing. For the record, I was still playing through the practice amp, but with louder volume and with the rest of the guitars in the band; couldn't have a full rehearsal today.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dave/Mike - what was the Wolfetone JB rewind difference? Any Aldrich users?

I'd love to post some samples but I simply don't have my recording act together at all.

Nolly put up some good examples in my opinion, though, of what it sounds like in mahogany.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts