Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Continuing on with the pedal collection with 2 blue coloured goodies.

First off...

Strymon Big Sky Reverb.

My bank account officially hates me after this. :lol: But I understand why these things are pricey. There are so many options and sound possibilities that it's easy just to get lost tweaking around. The standard reverbs are great as they are, but for something like this it's all about the out there settings. I spent a lot of time on the Swell, Bloom, Cloud and Chorale settings well even before I started knob twisting. The Magneto and Reflections are also a lot of fun. Naturally I spent most of my time on the lean settings at the moment. I also plugged my sitar on and damn it became something else. I have a specific use for that combination... Truly this is a mad scientist's experimental dream.

And I also got this...

Free The Tone Iron Forest Distortion.

Well this is getting out of hand... :lol:

Sometimes I attend jams or the odd gig or two where I actually need a distortion box in front of the chain (usually with one channel amps). So I couldn't resist and this was cheaper than the Quad Arrow (the other choice in my mind... eventually...) I walked out of the store with this. For a high gain distortion box, this is surprisingly sensitive to play and cleans up surprisingly well when you turn the volume knob down. However I do have quibbles with this one, as this may be the weakest of my FTT collection. It is a distortion pedal that akin to the Boss HM or Metal Zone so with the wrong setting, it can sound thin as Kate Moss so it's definitely more amp picky. A mid EQ knob would have been nice, but it's still pretty thick by dist pedal standards. So far I've only tried the pedal on it's own, but the real test begins tomorrow where I'll be combining this with my other FTT ODs tomorrow. I don't know what Yuki Hayashi and the FTT crew do to their goods, but damn, they're so much fun to play.

Well that's in until the next gear haul...

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Never tried the bigsky, don't even want to see one in person haha. I use the blue sky for regular reverb in Sparrows, but I want the EQD afterneith to get some really cool stuff happening.

Clips?

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately currently I don't have the facilities to do my own clips, which sucks because with all the gear I've accumulated this year have either been wacky effects or boutique drive pedals that I really want to share. :(

Hopefully that will change though as as I'll be entering the studio soon. I'll be bringing most of my gear and try to get some clips by then.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Cheap interface and reaper. Go forth.

After checking out big sky and eqd, I think the eqd might get more weird. I want to mess with my settings now haha.

What's on your board?

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wirelessly posted

Cheap interface and reaper. Go forth.
Duly noted.

Wirelessly posted

After checking out big sky and eqd, I think the eqd might get more weird. I want to mess with my settings now haha.

What's on your board?
The EQ stuff is weird and out there on the Big Sky it really encourages the player to really tweak and mess around. Dangerous when all you really want to do is play guitar. :lol:

At the moment, my board has been disassembled as I have been mostly in experimental/pre-production mode where I'm just testing a bunch of different pedal combos and layouts on different guitars. But these two will be the last pedals for a while (I swear), and if I was gonna go crazy it's gonna look like this:

Direct:

Digitech Whammy DT
Eventide Pitchfactor
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
FTT Silky Comp
MXR Octavio
FTT Red Jasper OD
FTT Gigs Boson OD
EHX Micro Pog
(Iron Forest maybe in there somewhere depending on amp)

FX Loop:

Source Audio Poly Mod
Boss Slicer
MXR Univibe
Boss Chorus
Boss Flanger
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DM2 Delay
Vox Time Machine Delay
Boss DD20 Delay
Strymon Big Sky
(probably throw a Boss RC at the end :lol:)

As you can see, it's pretty damn massive :lol:, of course it's temporary and for experimental use only. There will be some serious downsizing, should I perform my new material live.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

My bandmate would love your board haha. I want a small board for my pop punk band so I can use the loop..

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you get to use them all at once at least? :lol:
I'm too scared to even think about it. At the very least if I did, the Slicer will keep everything in time. :lol:

Incidentally enough, I never got to try the Iron Forest properly that day. :ugh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts