Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New pickups day!

So, in the continuing quest to try out passive pickups I ordered a Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat and Rebel Yell. The guitar currently has a Painkiller in it.

I did a quick pickup test of each using a recto setting in the POD. The differences I'm sure would be more obvious with a real amp, but they do sound different. One thing I noticed was that the guitar was easier to play with the Cold Sweat and Rebel Yell compared to the Painkiller. Both of the new pickups are a little lower output, so maybe that's the difference? :scratch:

The clip goes through one of my newer riffs four times, first the Painkiller, then the Rebel Yell, then the Cold Sweat, and finally back to the Painkiller . The playing isn't very clean, but it's good enough to get an idea for each pickup. The bass is from a keyboard, and the drums are DFHS2.0, everything was recorded 16 bit, 44khz.

Here is the clip: Pickup test wav file

I used these solderless pins and sockets to make swapping the pickups in and out super easy: Solderless Pin/Socket Pair

Also, the new BKP black covers look great.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Which do you like best, and how do you compare them to the other pickups (SD, Suhr, etc.) that you've been swapping around?

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) T-Mobile_Cleopatra)

I always hear people getting the Painkiller or Cold Sweat/Rebel Yell set. Has anyone tried the Holy Diver or Black Dog 7s? Im interested in the Holy Diver for the super strat im getting and the black dog for a hollowed 7 I may end up getting.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) T-Mobile_Cleopatra)

I always hear people getting the Painkiller or Cold Sweat/Rebel Yell set. Has anyone tried the Holy Diver or Black Dog 7s? Im interested in the Holy Diver for the super strat im getting and the black dog for a hollowed 7 I may end up getting.
I know Eric Clemenzi has a Holy Diver 8 in his Stambaugh 8 (the non-fanned) and it sounds killer

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Ha. #1 I have great ears, and #2 I'm using BRAND NEW Sony MDR 7506's. And I'll be damned if I can hear a difference. I'm sure you can probably feel it, Matt, but on this end? Nope. :lol: Maaaaaybe the CS sounds a bit edgier.

FTR, on the SD page where you can listen to different pickup tones, I can easily tell the differences, so yes, I can tell most pickups from another.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The Painkiller sounds the most like what I think a metal rhythm tone should be, with that lower mid "thunk" that Hetfield got out of his Boogies. The Rebel Yell is a bit looser in the lower mids, almost a little indistinct. The Cold Sweat kind of reminds me of the tone Tony Iommi is getting on the Heaven and Hell disc, since it is really dark, yet articulate. Then, the Painkiller came back around, and I still prefer it most. Maybe you need to start blending them, since the Painkiller is a little too scooped to hang out there by itself.

Have you been listening to Blind Guardian and Soilwork? :lol:

·
Chromaphonic Invader
1,298 Posts
On my speakers they are practically the same, the painkiller has slightly boosted highs and lows to my ears and the rebel yell has slightly boosted mids. But yeah I can barely hear the difference. Maybe without the other instruments it would be easier to tell.

Either way I appreciate the comparison, thanks :yesway:.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which do you like best, and how do you compare them to the other pickups (SD, Suhr, etc.) that you've been swapping around?
So far it's hard to say. The Aldrich is in a different guitar, and I love it in there, but I haven't tried it in this guitar to be able to say. That's next on my list to try in this guitar.

The Painkiller sounds the most like what I think a metal rhythm tone should be, with that lower mid "thunk" that Hetfield got out of his Boogies. The Rebel Yell is a bit looser in the lower mids, almost a little indistinct. The Cold Sweat kind of reminds me of the tone Tony Iommi is getting on the Heaven and Hell disc, since it is really dark, yet articulate. Then, the Painkiller came back around, and I still prefer it most. Maybe you need to start blending them, since the Painkiller is a little too scooped to hang out there by itself.
To me the Painkiller has a good bit of low mid chunk, not much low end and a nice boost in the high mids right where the pick sound is, so it highlights the percussive nature of fast picking. The Rebell Yell has more low end (so it sounds looser) and a smoother top end (less spikey in the upper frequencies). The Cold Sweat has less of the low mid chunk than the Painkiller, and it has high mid boost that is higher than the Painkiller. To my ears the Cold Sweat is closest to the Duncan Distortion, a pickup which I really like.

I'm thinking, like Dave, that blending the Cold Sweat and the Painkiller might be a really great sound.

Have you been listening to Blind Guardian and Soilwork? :lol:
Honestly, not recently. Though I've listened to Imaginations from the Other Side and A Predator's Portrait enough that it's inevitable that they will come out :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts