Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's about damn time I acquired one of them new dangled touch phones.

Just picked up the Evo 4G this afternoon. Huge improvement over my old blackberry curve.. the touch keyboard is giving me some problems though. I am really not used to this.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
It wouldn't be a tech thread without Elysian shitting on it! :woohoo:
:agreed:

Where's Jeff to disagree with him?

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EVO 4G is alright but Sprint is just about to announce some pretty sick phones at CTIA :lol:
Even so, I doubt I would be picking up the latest smart phone through them.

Size was a big issue for me when I chose this phone.. I got it because it was huge compared to the others and had a decent feature set. I don't like small phones... especially small phones with touch screens. I have a hard enough time typing on the damn things as is.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
It's about damn time I acquired one of them new dangled touch phones.

Just picked up the Evo 4G this afternoon. Huge improvement over my old blackberry curve.. the touch keyboard is giving me some problems though. I am really not used to this.
Yeah, the Android keyboards I've used are pretty alright but I still use the physical keyboard on my phone anyway.

You get 4G service anywhere near you?

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the Android keyboards I've used are pretty alright but I still use the physical keyboard on my phone anyway.

You get 4G service anywhere near you?
The nearest city with 4G is Grand Rapids, I believe... which is around 2 hours from me. I'll be out that way for a convention next month, so I'll hopefully get to to try it out (if there's time, that is).

#1 complaint so far with this phone is that it's battery life is abysmal. I'm usually near a power source, so that's pretty minor for me. If I happen to not be, I probably don't have any business being on a phone since I'd likely be kayaking, hiking, bicycling, etc.. All hazardous activities for electronics lol.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
#1 complaint so far with this phone is that it's battery life is abysmal. I'm usually near a power source, so that's pretty minor for me. If I happen to not be, I probably don't have any business being on a phone since I'd likely be kayaking, hiking, bicycling, etc.. All hazardous activities for electronics lol.
I know what you mean. First thing I did when I got my smartphone was get used to having my screen brightness REALLY low to save battery life.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
The nearest city with 4G is Grand Rapids, I believe... which is around 2 hours from me. I'll be out that way for a convention next month, so I'll hopefully get to to try it out (if there's time, that is).

A custom rom will seriously help battery life, there are some pretty good ones out there for the EVO.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
A custom rom will seriously help battery life, there are some pretty good ones out there for the EVO.
Rooting with unrEVOked and using Autokiller Memory Optimizer (which is NOT a task killer! Task killers are battery killers) helps a lot too. Me and my sister both pull 30+ hours on our HTC Incredibles constantly, and they're similar to the EVO.

Also, give the keyboard some time, once you get used to a touch screen keyboard, it's awesome, but there's certainly a learning curve :yesway: There's a keyboard calibration tool in the keyboard settings of the phone, if you haven't run that, do so, that helps a little with accuracy too.

Now go play Angry Birds!

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
My brother has the Evo 4G with optional battery pack. For $50, his battery life last up to 4 days instead of the usual less than a day.

I've been with T-Mobile for 10 years now, but I'm thinking of switching over to Sprint since my wife has been with them for years now & getting a family plan. The sprint phone I'm most interested in is the Evo Slide (slightly smaller 4G, but with QWERTY slideout keyboard).

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Even so, I doubt I would be picking up the latest smart phone through them.

Size was a big issue for me when I chose this phone.. I got it because it was huge compared to the others and had a decent feature set. I don't like small phones... especially small phones with touch screens. I have a hard enough time typing on the damn things as is.
I'd recommend getting Better Keyboard. On a screen that size it's quite nice, and IMO better than Swype. Swype was just too damn gimmicky for me, and had too many disadvantages compared to either the stock keyboard or Better Keyboard, specifically the alternate keyboard layouts.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I'd recommend getting Better Keyboard. On a screen that size it's quite nice, and IMO better than Swype. Swype was just too damn gimmicky for me, and had too many disadvantages compared to either the stock keyboard or Better Keyboard, specifically the alternate keyboard layouts.
Seconded.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts