Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
As a relatively new BKP user, I can attest to their awesomeness :metal: Any reason you want for the Aftermath over the Painkiller? IIRC, MDV on here actually named the Aftermath and had a little say in it's construction/voicing.

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
Yeah, I'm gonna be in the new PU market here soon, and I've heard a lot about these Aftermaths lately. You know my style, daddy like?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Truth be told, I forgot to buy pickup rings to "fix" Carvin's 3-hole dealydoo that they do, so it'll be a few days before I slap them in. :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Will it djent?

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the Aftermaths. I have a Warpig and a Holy Diver sitting here and I really can't hear anything special about them over an average DiMarzio or something. :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the Aftermaths. I have a Warpig and a Holy Diver sitting here and I really can't hear anything special about them over an average DiMarzio or something. :shrug:
See, this is what I'm worried about. Spending huge dollars on a pickup to get a minimal sound difference. Same thing happened with that Lundgren M7 I had.
Some people say that putting BKPs in their guitar is like pulling a blanket off the amp. Guess I'm still skeptical. I just don't want to pay $300 to find out I'm right.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I haven't been all that impressed with Bare Knuckle so far. They are good, but not for what they charge. The reason some Seattle stoner winds my pickups on an old sewing machine is because the result makes the big difference I was looking for.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
And I'm just the opposite, I've never been impressed with the Wolfe pickups, but the BKPs I have in my guitars are awesome.

I think when you get to boutique levels, you pay an additional 90% to get the last 10% of benefit. In the case of the Wolfe's that I've heard, they've been based on the JB, and I will never like that sound. They sound like really good JBs, which I guess is a compliment, in the same way that saying something sounds like a really good Bieber song. In the case of the BKPs, I've found some that I didn't like and some that I do. I can say that my black RR sounds better than it's ever sounded, and actaully sounds better than my tribal RR, and that's all due to a BKP Cold Sweat.

FWIW, when you last played the tribal, it had a Pain Killer in it, and that's one of the pickups that I'm kinda :meh: about.

All that is the long way of saying, I don't think that BKPs are the magic tone bullet for everyone. They were for me, just as the Wolfe's were for Dave and Mike. Are the BKPs twice as good as a Duncan? No. Are they worth the cost? To me, yes.

YMMV.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've got 2 bareknuckle's but neither of them are wired up at the minute. I got a cold sweat for my Ibby 7 but there was a wiring problem on that guitar that never really got sorted. I pulled the pickup out and am waiting to see if I sell that Ibanez or not. My other 7 has EMGs so I can't put it in that.
I just picked up a VH II bridge pickup from a guy locally that was selling for a good price. I'm not even sure which guitar to try it in! I'm probably going to do an overhaul on my Jackson SL3 and put it in that but I'll have to wait until I get the money for the rest of the work it needs. I'll probably throw it into an Epi Les Paul I have lying around to get a feel for the pickup.
Also, I didn't get any beermats with either of mine? Is that a US thing?

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
And I'm just the opposite, I've never been impressed with the Wolfe pickups, but the BKPs I have in my guitars are awesome.

I think when you get to boutique levels, you pay an additional 90% to get the last 10% of benefit. In the case of the Wolfe's that I've heard, they've been based on the JB, and I will never like that sound. They sound like really good JBs, which I guess is a compliment, in the same way that saying something sounds like a really good Bieber song. In the case of the BKPs, I've found some that I didn't like and some that I do. I can say that my black RR sounds better than it's ever sounded, and actaully sounds better than my tribal RR, and that's all due to a BKP Cold Sweat.

FWIW, when you last played the tribal, it had a Pain Killer in it, and that's one of the pickups that I'm kinda :meh: about.

All that is the long way of saying, I don't think that BKPs are the magic tone bullet for everyone. They were for me, just as the Wolfe's were for Dave and Mike. Are the BKPs twice as good as a Duncan? No. Are they worth the cost? To me, yes.

YMMV.
I completely agree. They're not 'twice as good' as any other pickup, but they're my favourites, and to me the cost is justified.

I love BKP and I'll continue to buy them.
I don't like all the models (I actually had, and got rid of some Painkillers), but ones like the Cold Sweat, Nailbomb, Rebel Yell, VHII, Black Dog IMO are great.
I mentioned in my NGD thread, I'm just about to try BKP single coils for the first time, and I have high hopes for them.

Although, you guys in the states pay more for them than us Brits.
A set of BKP for my tele cost me £140, in the UK, a set of Dimarzio or Duncans would only be £10 or £15 cheaper at most.

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
I think when you get to boutique levels, you pay an additional 90% to get the last 10% of benefit.
I would very much agree with this and with BKP's I think eeking that last 10% out can actually be quite difficult. Something as small as pickup height can massively affect the difference between BKP's sounding very normal and uninspiring, to totally opening up - something I know Darren said he found as well (perhaps not put quite as dramatically as I have! :lol:)

I think in a sense it's a bit like the Axe-Fx, you have to keep on tweaking for ages until you find the tone you are looking for. They aren't really as plug and play as people would probably like them to be. For me though, as soon as I found the sweetspot it was absolute night and day with any of the Dimarzio's that I had previously put in any of my guitars.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts