Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I think I mentioned previously, I decided to re-do my rig. It's been a long process with *some* end in sight, but still a ways to go. The Ceriatone OTS I posted a few months back is almost finished (assembled but I'm debugging some gremlins), which will be paired with an oversized ported 1x12" (in the process of building), then obviously the two Parkers I posted last month.

The main goal of the rig was something portable, bedroom-able that'll take pedals well. I'd like the amp to do most of the work gain-wise but I want a lot of clean headroom so that I can use my pedals to shape the output.

With all that focus on the pedals, I've obviously put a bit of thought and research into what I'll be running. The plan so far:

• Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
  • TCE HOF Mini
  • MXR 10-Band (that's to shape the piezos)
  • Big Muff Nano (for the really nasty stuff)
  • SD Vise Grip (for leads, picking with fingers and tapping)
  • SD Vapor Trail

There's a mild chance of a heavier drive pedal later one (Bogner Blue?) but my style leans more medium-to-low gain, focus on sustain, so we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

So anyway, I decided to start with the SD pedals new (the rest I'm looking for used). The reputation of both these pedals is very good so far.

I haven't gotten a chance to plug in the Vapor Trail but I used the Vise Grip quite a bit (through the Mark V:25). The compressor got a bit of a rap as a djent/djazz because of Tosin and Misha's use, but it actually works really well for my style which leans heavily on tapping (a la Reb Beach) and hybrid/finger picking (a la Vince Gill). Does exactly what a compressor should, and I was particularly impressed with how diverse but how useable the different settings 'bright-mid' switch is. I didn't use the bright setting so much yet, but the neutral and mid bumped settings had a nice hump to them.

For leads and tapping with heavy gain, it definitely helped with cohesiveness between left and right hand transitions on 3 and 4 NPS taps. I had the everything up to ~12 o'clock which REALLY hit the amp hard and didn't result in much noticeable noise. I haven't tried it in this capacity but I would not be surprised if it makes for a decent clean/solo boost.

Hoping to get some time with the Vapor Trail over the weekend.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Nicely done. I would like to test out the vapor trail as well.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never had a chance to play them, but they look snazzy. Post clips. At once.
Was gonna rough something together this morning, but decided to work on the OTS instead. Glad I did, because I finally got that running 100%, so expect a clip of that and the pedals next week.

As a bonus (though it wasn't *entirely* accidental), getting pedals for the OTS is supposed to normally be a pain-in-the-arse (because it's a 'line level' loop) but it looks like all the stuff that's going in the loop handles 'line level' fine (HOF, VT and the MXR).

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Came for the artsy pic
I tried to get a woman half-clad in Victorian dress, lounging lustfully on a fainting couch to hold these but she cancelled last minute.

Had to settle for bootlegged tab sheets from 'Reaching for the Uncommon Chord'.

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
I still haven't figured out compressors or there use. Am I the only one and if so don't laugh.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still haven't figured out compressors or there use. Am I the only one and if so don't laugh.
There are no dumb questions, only dumb people! :lol:

No but anyway, the utility of a compressor is really limited by your playing style and your rig.

For example (these are all assuming you're competent at said technique and you've got your amp dialed in right), standard "heavy handed" metal riffing usually overpowers an amp enough that your notes MOSTLY project at the same or similar volume. Likewise, techniques like alternate picking or even sweep picking on leads have a very similar effect on how they hit the front of the amp. Match that with either a high gain amp and/or overdriven sound and you're already in a situation where MOST of the time, you're peaking the input signal on the amp with most of your playing, thus sounding fairly consistent.

The flipside of that, if you do anything that causes a more varied response to how hard the guitar is hitting the front of the amp or using an amp that's doesn't naturally compress the signal coming in (clean and crunch, limited harmonics/sustain), you get fairly even response on standard picking and widely varying response on most other techniques (tapping, trills, legato, etc). In my case, I do a lot of tapping, which I'm fairly decent at but when you're playing on a clean patch, there's a more noticeable difference between sounding notes with your left hand (especially if there's more than 3 or more per-string, because of the decreasing leverage as more of your fingers are depressing points on the string) and tapping in with full force from your dominant hand. An illustration of this would be trying to play Eruption on an acoustic guitar... which I'm sure there's some people can do without it sounding like shit, but in most cases, it wouldn't have that 'sounds like notes on a keyboard' type consistency of the original recording or if you're playing it through a cranked high gain amp.

In cases like that, the compressor can 'wake up' quieter notes to get a more consistent sound. In my case, I want a clean-ish, acoustic-ish type sound (so an OD or high gain aren't an option), and the compressor gives you that consistency without having to increase your gain at all. Likewise, I do a lot of folksy finger picking, and the compressor does a good job of matching the sound of thumped/plucked/strummed notes, which are also being delivered on low/medium/high strings.

In essence, it's kinda like an overdrive for your clean channel. You can use them with gain obviously, though I personally think the ROI is a lot less because you can achieve those results a lot of ways on a distorted amp. :2c:

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
There are no dumb questions, only dumb people! :lol:
:lol: So are you looking at me when you say that :lol:. My tone deaf ears can't hear effects like this. I fuck around with compressors on my DAW and never can hear a difference other then an increase in volume.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts