Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, the only reason I own a Spider III 75 is because my Peavey Vypyr had this awful fucking noise/whine in the background of all high gain tones. The nonadjustable noise gate was murder as well. At the time I looked at Peavey Transformers on a recommendation from another forum, but they were going for about $300-400. More than what I wanted to drop on another Peavey modelling amp. So I bought a Spider as a small "do it all amp" so my buddy had something to play when he came over.

Recently the prices have dropped to nothing on the Transformer, and I grabbed this amp off Ebay for $170 shipped:

This thing rocks, it's basically a programmable Bandit, with built in effects. The "red stripe" Bandits were the best Peavey ever made, IMO, the new Chinese made ones sound like shit and are built like crap too. This was one of the last USA made Transtube Peavey amps.

Much much higher quality than the Vypyr I owned, no fucked up noises in the background. Less "models" and no brand names on them, but the Peavey "Hi Gain" is basically a 5150/6505 model anyways, and that was the best model in the Vypyr by far. Included footswitch FTW!

So, not a big Mesa stack, or even a tube amp, but I'm happy at least. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Nice! Everyone should own a good practice/portable jamming amp.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Wow, this was the prequel to Vypyr's? An old drummer of mine had a regular red striped bandit. Sounded pretty friggin awesome, but it was the usual 1x12 combo and didn't sound as good turned up.

But yeah, I had a Vypyr 15 and thought it was great. I sold it because I couldn't stand the ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN noise anymore since I always record direct.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, this was the tech they used to make the Vypyr pretty much. The main difference is there's no before amp model "stompbox" section.

Part of the reason the Vypyr's are so noisy is all the cheap Analog-Digital converters they use. This amp only goes to digital right after the gain stages, then back at the ouput.

The Vypyr does A-D at the stompbox, D-A at the gain stage, A-D after the gain stage, then D-A again at the output. That's a lot of converters!

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Christ, that brings back memories. I had a red stripe Bandit as my first decent-ish amp (ie not a no-name 15w heap of shit). I even gigged with my old thrash band with it :lol:

Congrats dude :yesway:

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Christ, that brings back memories. I had a red stripe Bandit as my first decent-ish amp (ie not a no-name 15w heap of shit). I even gigged with my old thrash band with it :lol:

Congrats dude :yesway:
I've actually never owned a Bandit, but used to play through them at the shop constantly. :yesway:

Those are great amps. :yesway: Love my Rage 158.
Somewhere I have a 258EFX, which is like a 25watt Rage with the effects from one of these Tranformers. Good sounding amp, but I've never enjoyed the little speaker.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
This thing rocks, it's basically a programmable Bandit, with built in effects. The "red stripe" Bandits were the best Peavey ever made, IMO, the new Chinese made ones sound like shit and are built like crap too. This was one of the last USA made Transtube Peavey amps.
While I agree that most of the new Peavey amps don't hold a candle to the old stuff, I must diagree on one thing - the old blue stripe bandits/stereo choruses were the fucking goods.

I also had a Bandit back in the day. :yesway: This thread makes me want another. :lol:

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While I agree that most of the new Peavey amps don't hold a candle to the old stuff, I must diagree on one thing - the old blue stripe bandits/stereo choruses were the fucking goods.

I also had a Bandit back in the day. :yesway: This thread makes me want another. :lol:
The blue/teal stripes are my 2nd favorites. :yesway: :lol: They sound more 80's shred than the red stripe, which has that modern(5150) setting.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The blue/teal stripes are my 2nd favorites. :yesway: :lol: They sound more 80's shred than the red stripe, which has that modern(5150) setting.
That's why I bought the Supreme 160 that I have, it's the same tone as the blue/teal stripe ones, in a head. It's definitely 80's-tastic. :D

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
Looks sweet man.. $170 with a footboard and shipped? Good deal. I was more partial to Peavey gain way back in the day. I had a Transfex 208s, if you've ever heard of that :lol: I don't remember exactly how, but I got it to start smoking.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Looks sweet man.. $170 with a footboard and shipped? Good deal. I was more partial to Peavey gain way back in the day. I had a Transfex 208s, if you've ever heard of that :lol: I don't remember exactly how, but I got it to start smoking.
When the S160 showed up, I realized that I was into it back in the day, and not so much anymore. :lol: It's still a blast to jam on and get the 80's Exodus groove on, but it sounds quite dated now.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Yeah, that's the main problem with the 80's shred tone, it's not 1986 anymore. :lol:
:lol: Yep. It's nice to have the option, as long as there's a knob on it that puts your tone Back To The Future, all Marty McFly style n' shit.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:lol: Yep. It's nice to have the option, as long as there's a knob on it that puts your tone Back To The Future, all Marty McFly style n' shit.
Heh. I only need it to do about 4 "voicings":

1- Clean Clean
2- Gritty/Crunchy Clean
3- Modern high gain rhythm and lead(varying mids, gain, and effects)
4- Maidenish high gain rhythm and lead(varying mids, gain, and effects)

Anything outside those is for fun, or goofing off. More often than not we're playing Maiden or Iced Earth when my buddy comes over, because it's fun, and because he's still learning. It's very satisfying to play 2-part harmonies in time and in tune. ;)

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did a quick clip, because the Peavey Forum guys asked for it:

Thought I'd post it here and make you people suffer as well. :lol: The playing isn't clean, getting over a cold and I feel sloppy. :lol: I recorded the audio with my Samson Q1U USB Mic, aimed towards the edge of the speaker. Works pretty well, IMO.

Clip has 5 "parts":

#1 British Clean model. Some Dream Theater, and random chords.
#2 Classic Crunch model. Bunch of crappy wankery. :lol:
#3 Classic Crunch / High-gain Parallel model. Iron Maiden's Powerslave riffs.
#4 Peavey Hi Gain model. Kreator's Terror Zone riffs.
#5 Peavey Hi Gain model. Bunch of crappy shred.

:squint:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.