Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I might have finally cracked it. The H-S conundrum! I've been trying to find the perfect H-S set up for so goddam long. I love the way it looks, but mostly hate the way it sounds, and get quickly bored/underwhelmed by the neck single coil. I've tried noiseless, true singles, stacked buckers, you name it...

Got so bored in fact that I reverted my greenie back to H-H.

Then I got bored of both my Charvels having the exact same pickups and config, so I changed greenie up again. Put a good ol' Distortion in the bridge (will I ever stop coming back to this pickup?) and grabbed a Seymour Duncan YJM Fury for the neck. Aldrich/59 set stays firm in the white Charvel, now I have two amazing playing superstrats but with slightly different tonal pallets.

Looks great too. I love how it's matte black with the Seymour Duncan logo also in black, but the "YJM" in white.

Sound-wise... you'll have to excuse the sloppy as shit playing but here's just a very quick back-and-forth I did between bridge and neck through my JVM

It's still got that single coil rasp (especially with a 500k pot) but it's carrying oodles of gain here. Fattens up so nicely under gain but still tight.

Of course there's still the volume discrepancy on the clean channel but meh, it sounds great, and isn't something you couldn't ride the volume knob for. 99% of the time I'm on the clean channel I'm only using my neck pickup anyway.

I was a little apprehensive as the reviews for this are mixed, but I think it depends what people are looking for. Those who were expecting a true jangly strat pickup... well.. They still got it IMO, but maybe it wasn't as "vintage" as they'd have liked. And for those expecting a searing liquid high output pickup... well I don't know why, since Yngwie's been using strat's since day one, but it seems that's what some people were expecting going by reviews.

To me, it's just a hot-rodded strat pickup that can rip through high gain, but is also a strat pickup when it needs to be. :metal:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Great pickup. These and the Injectors are 'go to' for hot rodded Strat pups. Gainy without being noisy and still have spank.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great pickup. These and the Injectors are 'go to' for hot rodded Strat pups. Gainy without being noisy and still have spank.
They were always on my radar, and I've tried the Area series a bunch and quite liked them, though they were definitely in the more "traditional strat" vein. Again, with the Injectors, just like the YJM, very mixed reviews, so I steered clear. I'm sure they're pretty similar to these though.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Great stuff! :shredder: Having tonnes of fun with the one in the neck of my EII Stump/Yng thyng, though I still need a better way of boosting it. (I'd been hoping to grab something cheap in the Black Friday deals, maybe even several drives/boosts to try, but didn't see anything that seemed worth bothering with at a discount...)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts