Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was kinda disappointed that the Thunderhorse I got in a trade didn't have the stock Gibson Burstbucker pickups, if only for pure aesthetic reasons, since they were all chrome. They make that guitar what it is - a riff machine, but with a classic 70s look too.

The previous owner swapped them out for black open-coil seymour duncans, which looked cool I guess, but totally missed the mark of the guitar and didn't really do it for me tonally.

I traded those and some other pickups from another guitar for a couple of sets of EMG's with *******, but after some thought i figured it was time i bit the bullet and re-chromed this son of a bitch...

EDIT: Probably should have specified, that is a set of the new EMG 57/66 models!

The installation was a breeze thanks to the solderless kit, but about 3/4 of the way through the process I thought fuck... this control cavity is fucking TINY, barely enough room for the 3 pots, let alone the solderless PCB and a fucking 9v battery! :lol: But after some thought-out angling and a little pressure from the cavity cover, it fits. Just. With not a millimetre to spare :lol:

And this is how she looks now..

These are probably my favourite pickup at the moment. I still love the classic 81/60/85, and still have them in one of my other guitars, but these really are something else, and I think anybody who previously didn't get on with EMG's owes it to themselves to try these.

They have that chewy PAF nature to them, very open, very punchy, but very controlled, tight, with a really growly midrange and the harmonics just fly out of these with the littlest of effort. Very very very happy indeed, and they suit this guitar down to the ground!

Clips soon...

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
Man, what an improvement. :metal:

How would you compare those to the standard 81/85 set? I love EMGs for metal but the set in my Jackson is starting to bore me.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Awesome! I'm super curious to try these! I was super skeptical about the Het Set, but was sincerely blown away by them. Fantastic cleans, and did chugging/saturated tone very well.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
That looks great... I've been wanting to get one of those myself!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Covers > *

ESPECIALLY for this particular guitar.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts