Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now officially own the ugliest PWH in the world. :D

Two things are shocking about this thread.

1.) Chris rewired this for me. He brought down the two Fenders and his Martin for string changes/setup work, and I had him rewire my UV. I think for once I got the better end of the deal - he even brought beer! :lol:

2.) This thing sounds AWESOME. I've never been a massive fan of the Blaze neck - it's a bit dark and smooth, and always seems to have this woodiness to it that sounds eminently like Steve Vai. It's a pickup that's probably voiced to work a lot better with Marshalls or brighter amps, while I always tend to like bright guitars into dark amps. The bridge smokes, but the neck and I have always merely sort of lived with each other. This, on the other hand, is a totally different beast. It's almost shockingly brighter than the Blaze - I did a double take with the first chord I played, and for a moment thought maybe we'd accidently wired it in parallel or something. It was a bit too close to the strings and run through a very bright clean channel, so after backing it off a little and adjusting the amp, well, it rules. It's much closer to what I'm looking for in a neck humbucker - the brightness and attack more like a singlecoil, but with the output and girth of a humbucker.

I'm still in new gear euphoria, but so far I think I really like it, and it seems to balance/compliment well with the Blaze in the bridge. :yesway:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Man, just add black knobs, and change the bride pickup to something black and it'll make sense :lol:
Tough to tell from the lighting but I think it may be a K7-coloured bobbin.

So Drew, does this mean you have to re-record all your backing tracks in The Gauntlet?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hardly- I switched the neck, not the bridge. :fawk:

Chris's green RG550 has a PAF Pro in it, which I loved enough to take a chance on the 7-string PAF. It's probably not 100% the same, but it's a very big step in the right direction.

And yeah, it's a grey PAF from a K7.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Tough to tell from the lighting but I think it may be a K7-coloured bobbin.

So Drew, does this mean you have to re-record all your backing tracks in The Gauntlet?
I did my best to try and nitpick stuff last night to set him back a couple of weeks too. :lol: "Oh, that section there, you really should mute it a little more..."

:coffee:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And you think he's joking. :lol:

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
PAF7s :yesway:

I wouldn't say the UV is ugly, it reminds me of a really dog-eared strat thats been chopped and changed over the years and generally well loved. Looks awesome and well loved. :metal:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts

I wouldn't say the UV is ugly, it reminds me of a really dog-eared strat thats been chopped and changed over the years and generally well loved. Looks awesome and well loved. :metal:
Completely agree, as does Drew, I suspect. It's a running joke that Jemsite despise him for modding his UV and for actually using a UV in a day-to-day, go to guitar context that suits his needs. :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts

:agreed:

I love guitars that have that lived in look.

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
Completely agree, as does Drew, I suspect. It's a running joke that Jemsite despise him for modding his UV and for actually using a UV in a day-to-day, go to guitar context that suits his needs. :lol:
Yeah I recall seeing the hate he got for installing the OFR. :lol:

I love the old UV's though, fantastic workhorses, I wish I'd have grabbed James PWH so I'd be one off the full set of the old block heels (not including the swirl though, it makes me sad in the pants :lol: ).

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Man, just add black knobs, and change the bride pickup to something black and it'll make sense :lol:
He'd have to change the locknut and tuners to chrome, and the whole reason he never touched the locknut is because he would be forced to dowel and re-drill.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I love PAF7s. The neck PAF7 is probably my favorite neck pickup. :yesway: The bridge PAF7 is awesome too, but probably not my all-time favorite.

Looking great.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I MAY have posted a thread over there later this morning. :lol: I'll go take a peek.

EDIT - hey, no H8. Good for them. :)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
We're overlooking the circumstances. Dread to imagine what went on. :ugh:
Says the scotsman who posts about fuckin' Drew.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts