Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, not yet.... in a few days! (New Synth Day)

Found one of these Korg DS-8's on musicgoround for $139 and snatched it up.
Looks like this:

Of course I thought it was too good to be true when I first seen it, then I found some youtube vids showcasing its sounds and Wow. Very underrated synth apparently. Don't know much about synths, I do know this has a lot of "vintage" and 80s sounds and thats exactly what i'm going to need. :cool:

Here's a vid....

Now I just need a little micro synth (with a lot of ambient sounds), and we should be set for live keyboards. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Very underrated synth apparently. Don't know much about synths, I do know this has a lot of "vintage" and 80s sounds and thats exactly what i'm going to need. :cool:
It definitely was very underrated. It was basically Korg's answer to Yamaha's DX-7 synth. But by the time it got released, technology was moving so quickly that "FM Synthesis" was already being considered obsolete.

Not sure if my timeline is right. But about a year or so after this came out. Korg released their iconic M1, which sold like crazy. So synths like the DS-8 got pushed aside very quickly.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It definitely was very underrated. It was basically Korg's answer to Yamaha's DX-7 synth. But by the time it got released, technology was moving so quickly that "FM Synthesis" was already being considered obsolete.

Not sure if my timeline is right. But about a year or so after this came out. Korg released their iconic M1, which sold like crazy. So synths like the DS-8 got pushed aside very quickly.
Well, that makes sense. Not sweating it being underrated....that means its dirt cheap for me! :D But it seems its going to be a very good companion to the Alesis, and easier for me to play on since I suck at keys and the Alesis's weighted keys makes it harder for me to play.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
^ For that kind of cash. You got the real deal for less than some of the virtual instrument plugins that emulate it. :lol:

From what I remember. The only thing to keep an eye on is the contacts on the joystick. A ton of crud used to get collected in there and would eventually cause it to mistrack. But other than that. You'll be able to get every popular 80's cheesey synth sound on there. No problems.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

F1Filter said:
^ For that kind of cash. You got the real deal for less than some of the virtual instrument plugins that emulate it. :lol:

From what I remember. The only thing to keep an eye on is the contacts on the joystick. A ton of crud used to get collected in there and would eventually cause it to mistrack. But other than that. You'll be able to get every popular 80's cheesey synth sound on there. No problems.
Ill keep a look out for that. I usually don't ride the mod wheel/stick a lot accept when I'm doing b3 sounds but that'll be on the alesis. I'm not much of a keyboard player honestly, its something to tinker with to get a general concept while composing and another board we can use live.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.