Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These showed up today from japarts. They look fantastic.

Unfortunately they aren't staying on the Suhr, because despite some back and forth with the vendor, apparently there was still a miscommunication. The retaining screw holes don't line up. I'll end up using them elsewhere, but my quest for the correct black tuners for the Modern apparently continues...

Pardon the misalignment, I snapped the pics and tightened them up afterwards.

They stay put just fine for the time being, and the fiddle looks much better now that all of the hardware is black. :yesway: (Though my guitar is not this radiant orange.. Camera+ fucking loves contrast, despite my best attempts to tell it not to adjust it. :lol:)

Summary: Awesome tuners, look great, work great, wish they were the right ones for this guitar.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the retaining screw holes are straight in line with the centers of the tuner holes?
Yep.

Just ordered some black Hipshots. Same things I just took off, only the correct color. Kind of a bummer since these look so damn awesome, but I'm not having ghetto "Speed holes" on a $2500 guitar. :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Cool. But yeah, shitty those didn't work out. Those look pretty fucking awesome.
I really dig the locking Hipshots I slapped on my RG8(the open geared ones).

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Exactly what I got and from the same place too. :lol:

Those Gotohs might just help "gawd" up the Warbanez even more! :idea:

edit: Don't think the retaining screw holes will line up on it either. And I'd hate to muck up a $400 guitar! :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, I had to cancel those because they aren't staggered. :mad:

What a pain in the ass. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The suhr likely has a 1" (25.4mm) post spacing. The 301 has 25.7mm body length.
Yeah, the Japarts dude said they wouldn't fit. :(

Who sells staggered sets of 7 string hipshots? All the ones on Amazon are non-staggered. Though since I have a string retainer, does that even matter on my guitar?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You don't need staggered with a retainer bar. Why not buy them direct?
That's actually what I was looking to know. The last things I bought direct (saddles, a couple years ago) from Hipshot never showed up, and it took me like 3 months to get a refund.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Darren, Brian, and a number of others are Hipshot dealers. All else fails, maybe they can drop ship?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Darren, Brian, and a number of others are Hipshot dealers. All else fails, maybe they can drop ship?
I may go that route. The guitar came w/staggers, so I'd like to keep it "original", but considering that I don't actually need them that way I suppose Amazon will do just as well.

I posted up on the Suhr forum to see if there's anything as spiffy as these Gotohs out there that will be a direct fit. I don't really like the Hipshots, and planned on replacing them anyway. They work great, but the open gear aesthetic just doesn't look as cool as an enclosed tuner to me.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
:dgaf:

Also, is there a need for locking tuners AND a locking nut?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts