Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a 2700/2710 Killer.

It's pretty cool and just drops straight into a 2 point strat cavity.

It has adjustable radius & string spacing and also individual string height!

Unfortunately the mounting studs/knife edge kinda things didn't come at the same time but hopefully they shouldn't be too long.

In theory I could just use a countersunk head machine screw as a temporary fix but i'll just wait. I love the fact that it has no knife edges to wear out and the replacement stud pieces that it pivots on are $4 each.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Kahler makes some really solid double lockers. Never used that one, but I've had the Steeler and currently have a Spyder.

I hope it's better than the Kahler Spyder was... Looks nice.
I don't get the hate for the Spyder. Part of me just thinks its an online thing that's spiraled out of control from being repeated so often. I have one on an HM strat and it holds tune fine. As pointed out, you can replace the pivots for like $4, which is a pretty awesome design.

What didn't you like about it?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope it's better than the Kahler Spyder was... Looks nice.
The Killers were the top of the fulcrum line and are meant to be 100% spot on. I know a few people that use them and have never had any issues so i'm hopeful.

I'm not 100% sure if I want to get my strat routed so I can pull up yet but it's a consideration.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The Killers were the top of the fulcrum line
Well, I don't know if it's a strictly heirarchical arrangement. But I believe the Steeler is, on paper as well as in the current online kahler community, regarded as being superior to the Killer.

Does yours have the autolatch block?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I don't know if it's a strictly heirarchical arrangement. But I believe the Steeler is, on paper as well as in the current online kahler community, regarded as being superior to the Killer.

Does yours have the autolatch block?
I'm just going on what various dealers etc have said when I was doing research. And yeah it does have the autolatch block.

I considered the steeler until I realised it didn't match up with the post spacing on my guitar.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I'm just going on what various dealers etc have said when I was doing research. And yeah it does have the autolatch block.

I considered the steeler until I realised it didn't match up with the post spacing on my guitar.
Hahahahaha, well you know, who knows? Who cares?

Like I said, the Spyder rocks IMO. So if this is as good as that you'll have a solid trem on your hands. All Kahler MIA stuff I have personally encountered is badass.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I'd love to install an autolatch on one of my guitars some day, but there is no way I am paying the prices the profiteering douchebags at Whammiworld are asking.

They go for a fair bit on ebay too from what I've seen.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Kahler 2700 trem with the Auto-Latch System (The Holy Grail of Trem Stops) | eBay

Not too bad depending how it goes.

But I agree whammiworld prices are extortionate for most things
The problem with that is, who knows if you are getting all the right parts, and they aren't gunked up to the point of not working? I took a close look at the Steeler I recently sold, and how it works is like you have to twist the trem arm or some shit (so first off you have to have the correct trem arm, good luck finding that shit! hahahahaha) and it activates some tiny springs in a firing chamber which trip the latch. Lots of places for shit to go wrong.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The problem with that is, who knows if you are getting all the right parts, and they aren't gunked up to the point of not working? I took a close look at the Steeler I recently sold, and how it works is like you have to twist the trem arm or some shit (so first off you have to have the correct trem arm, good luck finding that shit! hahahahaha) and it activates some tiny springs in a firing chamber which trip the latch. Lots of places for shit to go wrong.
Ill let you know how it works once I have the sucker installed.

I believe it locks when the arm is in the down position but I aren't 100% sure.

It is a risk however

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (like MAGIC!)

I think a lot of the misgivings around these bridges may have stemmed from the lack of replacement parts in the years that Kahler had dropped completely out of the game.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Sick. This for that green swirl axe?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sick. This for that green swirl axe?
yeah it is. Im hoping the pivot posts will be here early next week so I can get it all back together. I'm still swapping pickups around randomly until I find something that's spot on whilst being different from my other guitars but not so different I have to mess around too much with my amps etc.

I HATE pickup hunting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts