Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Toobz Day!

Grabbed some new power and preamp tubes for the Mesa....I currently have JJ E34Ls and a Tung Sol in V1 and I just don't like them together... I love the E34Ls but the Tung Sol + them just doesn't give the saturation and smoothness i'm looking for. To test this, I do my "pinch harmonic test" I slowly turn the gain up until I can sustain an outrageous sounding pinch harmonic, and then I play big chords and see if it sounds fizzy.

Anyway, incoming is two Groove Tube E34Ls, a Gold pin JJ ECC83 for V1 and a regular JJ for V2 (rhythm and lead preamp). All the JJ preamp tubes i've used have typically been higher gain, so I thought i'd start there. I wanted to go with the Winged C's, and I may go with them next time, but the price difference between these and the Winged C's are a bit ridiculous. Mullard EL34s are still my favorite power amp tube, but they died in like 3 months and i'd like to not retube every 3 months. :lol:

Stock pics FTW!

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Just recently re-tubed w/ JJ EL34s.

I know Groove Tubes supposedly "hand test and sort" all their tubes but I've never been fond of the amount of mark-up they add to the tubes they use. Good tubes, though.

If you don't have one already, consider putting a 12AT7 in your phase inverter position.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just recently re-tubed w/ JJ EL34s.

I know Groove Tubes supposedly "hand test and sort" all their tubes but I've never been fond of the amount of mark-up they add to the tubes they use. Good tubes, though.

If you don't have one already, consider putting a 12AT7 in your phase inverter position.
The Winged C's are expensive, however this set of E34Ls (no not EL34s ;) ) cost the same as a matched pair of Mullards, which is why I chose them over the Winged C's. I may try a 12AT7 there. :yesway:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts