Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This came in two days back. Been eyeing these since they were announced. I'm not the biggest BOSS fan, although I like quite a few of their products, but there isn't a ton of competition at the sub $500 level for nice wireless units. Besides, BOSS has a reputation for building shit that works/lasts. I didn't like the Line 6s. I've also had a bunch of Nadys of varying vintage, but usually those lasted one show before someone from another band broke the antennas off loading in. Solid as fuck except for the antennas.

I was originally going to go for one of the uglier, cheaper models in the new BOSS range. But I fucking hate the form factor on those. I figured I would just use a male to female socket type cable to extend it and stick it in a pouch on the guitar strap/belt, but I noticed those have a disclaimer that they do not work with active instruments, since for some reason the male plug on the wireless unit is stereo. Active wiring setups use Stereo jacks to ground. So reading that it was like, "Fuck it, I thought the format was ugly anyways, I'll just go for the nicer one. Buy nice or buy twice."

PROS:

-Perfect functionality
-Sounds amazing
-Works perfectly
-Detachable/replaceable cable (fucking nice cable by the way, nicer than Dimarzios, and I consider those nice cables)
-Runs on AAs (some people prefer a built in rechargeable battery, but AAs are the best long term format, since a built in battery will not last forever and AAs are the most common battery, ensuring this unit will work in the post apocalypse. ) BOSS has like, 3 units in their new wireless range. 4, if you consider the fact they offer variations of one. The other ones have built in rechargeable batteries and a fucking stupid form factor.
-No Antennas

CONS:

-Plastic
-BOSS didn't include a power adaptor with a $300 unit. Come on.
-You have to turn the unit off by unplugging the fucking output jack. Which is such a fucking stupid design. Otherwise it's always on. Which might not be a huge problem if you have it. They really should have done a stomp on/off. They're BOSS for fucks sake. I can see not wanting to do a stomp on a plastic unit, but at least have a switch on the back for fucks sake. People like to wire tight boards. The fact I have to semi-pull this off my board and pull the output jack to turn it off everytime I use it is unforgivable.
-Clip for affixing it to strap/belt isn't as heavy duty as some of the old Nadys I've had.
-No aftermarket pouches specifically designed for the unit yet. As far as I could tell.

PRO/CON:

- Transmitter is very lightweight due to plastic construction. Some will like it, I would rather have a heavier unit.

I've been cabling my rig exclusively with Dimarzios for like, 8 years now. Guitar -> Amp, Patch, Amp ->Cab. All Dimarzio. They aren't the most expensive cables you can buy, but they are the best balance of quality and affordability. This unit definitely sounds noticeably better than the Dimarzio cables I use for guitar -> amp. Actually surprised me how good it sounds. I was expecting it to be on par or a bit worse. Though YMMV based on your preferences and you guitars. Haven't messed with all the settings yet, have it on "cable tone off".

Would rate it 4.2/4.3 stars out of 5, provided the plastic proves durable. The fact it's plastic is like, I would have preferred metal, but if it works it works. I also don't like the fact Dimarzio Cliplocks have plastic buckles but they are still solid as shit. All the other modern wirelesses at the same price point are plastic too though, so it should be good. BOSS has a reputation for building durable shit. I have faith that quality ABS plastic will probably prove durable. Power adapter is like, that's cheap as fuck BOSS, especially on a $300 unit, but whatever, everyone already has loads sitting around and most boutique pedals you buy at $300 don't come with power adapters either.

The "turn off the receiver unit on your board by pulling out the output cable" shit is unforgivable though. In terms of sound and usability it's near perfect, but that is such a fucking stupid design. That's not an exaggeration either. It says that in the manual. "Turn off the receiver unit by unplugging the output cable"

Still, easily the best unit in its price range. BOSS definitely has a winner here. The pedal format of the receiver and the. You might find older stuff that's heavier duty in terms of transmitters, but antennas are fragile, and it's not like you can buy a new transmitter if you ever need one. Also, a lot of the older units don't have detachable cables on the transmitter. Detachable cable is a must if you are shelling out money for a serious wireless IMO.

If you're on the fence about going for the more expensive one or the cheaper ones in the stupid format, I say the more expensive one is definitely worth it. A proper belt/strap mounted unit with a detachable cable is way preferable to the stupid "1/4" dongle" format. Especially if you have a strat style jack.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, can't say enough good things about the cable. I would rank it slightly over Dimarzio's range, both in terms of the woven jacket and the cable quality. And Dimarzio's woven cables are already a noticeable tier above shit like Guitar Center Planet Waves stuff. Don't remember seeing these for sale before, maybe their new range got introduced alongside the WL units. At about the same price point of $40-50 for a 10-15' GTR->Amp cable, I think I would go for one of those.

https://www.boss.info/us/categories/accessories/boss_cables/

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I would definitely destroy that jack mount version. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would definitely destroy that jack mount version. :lol:
That's actually the norm for guitar wirelesses now. Not some anomaly. No one is interested in doing proper belt/strap mount ones at that price point. Line 6 and Sennheiser both have stupid ones too. If you look at the page for guitar wirelesses on a site like sweetwater half of them are like that. Integrated things that are in a housing that only stays put by being plugged into the strap.

Which is astounding, because not only is the design ugly as fuck, and looks completely untrustworthy, apparently no one who designed them has ever played an explorer. There are definitely a bunch of "metal" shapes out there where it's like, you hit the fins on things already all the time. Why put something like that there. You try walk through a door jam and forget about your stupid integrated wireless jack and the whole thing snaps off, not only destroying your wireless transmitter, but also potentially the guitar.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most sane people stick to right angled jacks at the guitar end because the low profile is way better, and all these companies are like, "What if we designed something the size of a smartphone sticking out of the guitar just waiting to collide with something?"

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Looks nice! I'd still strap it to my strap, and would build a F/M extension cable :yesway:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts