Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Wireless Day :yesway: - Line 6 G30.

I was going to get the G50, but it wouldn't have gotten to me in time for our headliner this Friday. I don't think the unit will be getting abused. I have my TS7 on my board, and it's going strong!

My tech is going to help me re-make my pedalboard before our gig, as well as securely attach the transmitter to my strap. I'll get a pic when it's all said and done. I also need to replace the straight/straight cable with a right-angle ASAP.

Big thanks to Matt at Matt's Music (US, not London) for the hook-up!

Expect bigger jumps and sweeter kicks!

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Line 6 wireless? Good luck! :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Don't hate. These "new" wireless packs they have doing on are the tits. EVERYONE seems to be using them.
Who is everyone, and is he carrying a spare with him? I'm only speaking from experience, since I had two units go bad in a year's time (one was DOA), saw a friend show up to a gig with a brand new one that was DOA, and Mike and I both have been through about five of the transmitter pack cables.

The quality on these is lousy, and the QC is non-existent. The insurance I got from MF when I bought mine decided to refund me the purchase price, rather than replace the unit, since they said repeatedly replacing them for customers was getting to be too expensive. This is what happens when you buy a good product (X2 wireless) and cheap out all the components.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
It's possible they have the QC issues worked out, but I wouldn't touch one. I've seen too many DOAs on the 30s and broken jacks on the higher-end ones.

Not to rain on your NGD, dude. I hope it works well for you.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Who is everyone, and is he carrying a spare with him? I'm only speaking from experience, since I had two units go bad in a year's time (one was DOA), saw a friend show up to a gig with a brand new one that was DOA, and Mike and I both have been through about five of the transmitter pack cables.

The quality on these is lousy, and the QC is non-existent. The insurance I got from MF when I bought mine decided to refund me the purchase price, rather than replace the unit, since they said repeatedly replacing them for customers was getting to be too expensive. This is what happens when you buy a good product (X2 wireless) and cheap out all the components.
The new Relay ones dont have the shitty cable that always fails it uses a full size cable connector. I have had the same X2 wireless for 3 years and never had a problem except that cable.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
The new Relay ones dont have the shitty cable that always fails it uses a full size cable connector. I have had the same X2 wireless for 3 years and never had a problem except that cable.
Only the G30. The others use that shitty connecter that A/T uses, as well, and that stupid thing always breaks.

For perspective, I have a Sennheiser Digital 1000 that uses the 3.5mm TRS jack, and I've never had any issues with it. QC is the problem, not the connector.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The old Sennheiser digital wirelesses (the X2 is an updated version of the same technology) use the same type of cable, and they last much longer. I'm still using mine, and Mike's finally failed after (correct me if I'm wrong) five or six years. X2 used a cheaper cable, and Line6 used a cheaper one still. Both have problems with the barrel 1/8" jack, not the 1/4" end, which is a standard electronics house part. Mike bought a bunch of the more expensive one and made his own cables, so he isn't replacing cables all the time anymore. Seriously, he went through about four of them in two months time.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
The old Sennheiser digital wirelesses (the X2 is an updated version of the same technology) use the same type of cable, and they last much longer. I'm still using mine, and Mike's finally failed after (correct me if I'm wrong) five or six years. X2 used a cheaper cable, and Line6 used a cheaper one still. Both have problems with the barrel 1/8" jack, not the 1/4" end, which is a standard electronics house part. Mike bought a bunch of the more expensive one and made his own cables, so he isn't replacing cables all the time anymore. Seriously, he went through about four of them in two months time.
Actually, my original cable still works, and I bought it used, and have had it since 2003. It was the one I made that got broken.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Actually, my original cable still works, and I bought it used, and have had it since 2003. It was the one I made that got broken.
Serves you right for using crappy GeorgeL's. :vince:

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Strange that you guys seem to be having so many problems. My G50 has worked awesome its whole life, and I've had it since last christmas. I don't use it as much as a gigging musician would, but it has been put through its paces for sure.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The cable for this one is your usual 1/4-1/4. I don't need a rack wireless yet.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Strange that you guys seem to be having so many problems. My G50 has worked awesome its whole life, and I've had it since last christmas. I don't use it as much as a gigging musician would, but it has been put through its paces for sure.
My first Line6 X2 was DOA, and the second one lasted almost a year. Unlike you, I play in two gigging bands, and I'm hard on gear. I'm not a shoegazer, either; I'm very active onstage, and running into things/people is not unusual for me at all. That's why appreciate the details, like Sennheiser making their transmitter packs out of metal. I should also note that the wireless only ever sees use at a gig, since there is no point taking it to practice, except to test it the last rehearsal before a show.

The only guy here with gear that sees more abuse than mine is probably James 7DT.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Well the G50 is not an X2, nor does it use an 1/8" jack. The G30 is plastic, but uses standard 1/4" - 1/4" cables, and the G50 & G90 use TA34(?) ends, or whatever they're called. They can be had at the local PA shop here in town. The transmitter packs on the G50 and G90 are also metal.

EDIT: I don't dispute that you've had the problems you've had, I'm just saying that I have not experienced any of those problems with mine thus far.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Well the G50 is not an X2, nor does it use an 1/8" jack. The G30 is plastic, but uses standard 1/4" - 1/4" cables, and the G50 & G90 use TA34(?) ends, or whatever they're called. They can be had at the local PA shop here in town. The transmitter packs on the G50 and G90 are also metal.
I wish I could remember which G-series my buddy had, but it was literally DOA at the first gig he brought it to. Plus, if I have a Sennheiser that works fine, and an X2 (which is a 24-bit version of the 16-bit Sennheiser) that works fine, yet I've personally had two bad Line6 X2s, then where do you think the problem lies? I'm going to go with Line6 cutting costs.

I know the cable you are talking about on the G50 and G90, and it is crap. My old Audio Technica had the same cable, and I went through four of them in three years.

EDIT: I don't dispute that you've had the problems you've had, I'm just saying that I have not experienced any of those problems with mine thus far.
Before I started gigging regularly, I never really had problems with gear. Playing out is to playing at home what racing is to commuting: you need far more durable equipment, since you are using it in a high-stress environment.

Still, having said that, there is just no excuse for DOA units. That is sloppy QC, and should not be tolerated.

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I never had any trouble with my Line6 X2 that couldn't be traced back to my own shitty solder job.

I've seen enough X2 and G-series wireless systems in touring bands rigs (without a backup visible in the rig, meaning a long change-over should one be needed/available) without issues to know that they can't all be shit.

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
It sounds like a pretty solid idea to entrust your wireless performance to a company with a synonym for "cable" in their name.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts