Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly, kind of a lame upgrade except for Seri, which if it works as well as it was demo'd (According to Engadget, it does) then that alone is almost worth getting an iPhone for.

Needs the voice of Kitt though. :agreed:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I am underwhelmed.

Although at this point, I guess I may as well upgrade my 3GS to a 4S. I was sort of holding out for something a little more exciting.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Im looking at it simply because i LOVELOVELOVE the feel of the 4 in my hand way more than any other phone ive gotten my hands on, and I dont wanna risk losing that with the 5 :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Most of the negative stuff i've been reading is from people who read too many rumour sites and were expecting an iPhone 5 with a bigger, higher-resolution screen, thinner form factor and handjob ringtone buzzer.

If you look at their last three releases, they went iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4G. The 4GS is totally what i expected. The fact that it's combined GSM and CDMA is pretty awesome (and hugely profitable for Apple) and the dual-core processor and new camera look pretty sweet.

Siri looks brilliant, and really looks like a game-changer. I'm sure RIM and Google will be ripping it off in 3... 2... 1...

I wish it would have worked on the iPhone 4, but i guess that's how they sell new hardware, huh? ;) I'll be happy with my iPhone 4 with iOS 5 for another year or two. :)

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They also pulled Siri from the app store, and currently installed versions wont work anymore as of the 15th.

That is kinda a dick move.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I am underwhelmed.

Although at this point, I guess I may as well upgrade my 3GS to a 4S. I was sort of holding out for something a little more exciting.
:agreed:

A 4S would be a big upgrade over my 3GS, but I'm now thinking about switching over to an Android phone, such as the Samsung Galaxy S2, which is comparable to the 4S feature-wise. Any thoughts about that from anyone? I'm not much of a phone geek, so I don't really keep up on this stuff.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts

A 4S would be a big upgrade over my 3GS, but I'm now thinking about switching over to an Android phone, such as the Samsung Galaxy S2, which is comparable to the 4S feature-wise. Any thoughts about that from anyone? I'm not much of a phone geek, so I don't really keep up on this stuff.
You're asking in the wrong thread/forum :lol: The GS2 is a good phone (as will be the 4s). Head to a store and play with them both, whichever you like more you'll be happy with :yesway:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts

If I were to switch from the iPhone to a droid, I would go Verizon, and I would go with the Samsung Droid Charge.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of the negative stuff i've been reading is from people who read too many rumour sites and were expecting an iPhone 5 with a bigger, higher-resolution screen, thinner form factor and handjob ringtone buzzer.
The lack of a handjob ringtone is the deal breaker for me. But for everyone else, you have to remember that the 3G to 3GS was after 12 months. Then the 4 was announced 12 months after that. The 4S was announced 15 months after the 4. Not quite a 2 year mark, but the fact that it took longer than 12 months left people to believe that they needed more time to work on the iPhone 5.

That delay was likely attributed to the new A5 chip or something, but most people don't really care what chip it has.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
If I were to switch from the iPhone to a droid, I would go Verizon, and I would go with the Samsung Droid Charge.
That is fairly tempting. I switched from Verizon to AT&T when I got my 3GS, and I haven't been very happy with the AT&T service here in the DC area, by comparison.

It would definitely be easier and more convenient to stay in the Apple world and go with a 4S.

Apple probably would have been better off naming it the iPhone 5 in the end, since that's what everyone was expecting. Despite the same form factor and screen, it really does have substantial upgrades under the hood.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Oh hell no. Droid Charge is suck. The Droid Prime is right around the corner, rumor is 4.5" screen with 1280x720 resolution and dual core processor. Droid Charge is only a single core as well.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
It would definitely be easier and more convenient to stay in the Apple world and go with a 4S.

Apple probably would have been better off naming it the iPhone 5 in the end, since that's what everyone was expecting.
Agreed on both accounts. iPhone 5 just sounds more appealing than iPhone 4S. It's like I'm having to make just a incremental upgrade, regardless of what they've really done!

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Oh hell no. Droid Charge is suck. The Droid Prime is right around the corner, rumor is 4.5" screen with 1280x720 resolution and dual core processor. Droid Charge is only a single core as well.
I wouldn't really say that it sucks. It's the best damn Android phone I've picked up to date, barring the Galaxy S 2, regardless of what's around the corner.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They definitely shouldn't have named it the iPhone 5. Everyone would be like "wtf? That's a god damned 4S"

The name isn't the problem.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
That delay was likely attributed to the new A5 chip or something, but most people don't really care what chip it has.
I seem to recall something about component shortages back in the summer... Flash memory, batteries, LCDs, etc... I'm sure Apple's spat with Samsung didn't help that any.

Seriously... the rumour mills fed the media machine which fed back into the rumour mills, and so on. It was a vicious circle of bullshit, and everyone's expectations were off the charts.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
Siri looks brilliant, and really looks like a game-changer. I'm sure RIM and Google will be ripping it off in 3... 2... 1...
Google has a lot of it for over a year now

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Google has a lot of it for over a year now

Introducing Voice Actions for Android - YouTube
Except that it doesn't work nearly as well as it's portrayed in that video, not by a long shot.

Must be my funny midwestern accent though. :D

It was useful, but you had to be really careful when you spoke to it. If Siri (or whatever the hell it's called) actually works well, it'll definitely be a big game changer.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts