Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a bunch of people on here who loved this game. I've tried about 4-5 times to get into it, and as soon as I get through the intro sewer/catacombs part, I completely lose interest. :\

When does this game pick up? Last time, as soon as I made it outside, just about everything in the world kicked the fuckin' shit out of me. :lol: I'm going to give it one more go.

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
:lol: Chris, that EXACTLY mirrors my experience with Oblivion. Made it out into the open world, some guy got off his horse and destroyed me for seemingly no reason. I quickly gave up after that, but I could never get a feel for the combat when I played. I ended up lending it to a mate, not really caring if I got it back, and I didn't! I think they enjoyed it a lot more than I did.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:lol: Chris, that EXACTLY mirrors my experience with Oblivion. Made it out into the open world, some guy got off his horse and destroyed me for seemingly no reason. I quickly gave up after that, but I could never get a feel for the combat when I played. I ended up lending it to a mate, not really caring if I got it back, and I didn't! I think they enjoyed it a lot more than I did.
:rofl: Yeah, as soon as you get outside, there's a little river and a stonehenge looking thing across the way, so that's always the first place I go. I end up with an inventory chock full of random swords and rat meat and shit, and think "alright, time to kick some ass!".

Then the two dudes in there completely fucking shit on me. :lol: I tried for like an hour last time to just kill something, anything, and just kept getting rolled. :lol:

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Yeah don't start out going into dungeons or attacking shit, go to some of the cities and do some quests, otherwise almost anything other than rats and crabs with house you.

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
:lol: I think I made it to a village first, talked to some people then after I left I got destroyed.

...although actually now that I think about it, it's possible I may have seen this guy riding past on his horse and tried to kill him to take his horse :lol: I think that might have been my downfall.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah don't start out going into dungeons or attacking shit, go to some of the cities and do some quests, otherwise almost anything other than rats and crabs with house you.
I'll give that a shot. I didn't go into anywhere, I just walked up to check shit out, saw some dudes, attacked, and got beat down. :lol:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

If you're getting killed by enemies in that elder scrolls game there's no hope for you. (all enemies are scaled other than one lady)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I don't know if it matters I had the exact same experience. Lot's of dying - no hope of making it past one baddy getting bored - putting up.

I had played Fallout 3 and loved it - figured a D&D version of Fallout - boy was I wrong.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I read somewhere that the difficulty slider is fucked up, and if you kick it a notch to the left towards easier, it evens it out. Tried it, and lo and behold I can actually kill things now. :lol: Usually I think of lowering the difficulty as the last resort, but even the first two little imp-things you encounter in Kvetch (sp?) were absolutely destroying me.

Just finished the Siege, closed the first Oblivion gate, and got some decent armor and a half decent sword, though I'm an assassin and was hoping for a dagger. Dunno if I'll stick with it since it's still kinda bleh, and the graphics are hella dated now, but at least I'm getting somewhere. :lol:

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
Just pretend it's Fallout 3 with sillier weapons and outfits, more annoying NPCs, and a slightly brighter collection of colors. (It is.)

Jeff

·
Registered
374 Posts
i had exactly the same experience as you, chris. since fallout 3 was one of my favorite games, i had high expectations for oblivion. i really just couldn't get into it after the first hours of gameplay.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
It's an RPG dude :lol: You have to level and loot a bit before you fight certain enemies.

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
It's a really awesome game, as long as you're outside the dungeons etc..

The biggest difference I noticed between it and Fallout (I had Oblivion first, and loved it), was that Oblivion is infinitely more repetitive. There are major good points for it (the world is amazing fun to explore outside, there are some awesome armour and weapons in it etc..) but those dungeons get so fucking repetitive after a while... :(

I imagine there are mods that make that better, I also imagine that the addons/expansions would add some awesome :)

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I can't believe how many Oblivion haters there are in this thread. Fallout 1, 2, and 3 are all amazing games, but Oblivion is way better than any of them. :shrug: Way better, yo.

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
I can't believe how many Oblivion haters there are in this thread. Fallout 1, 2, and 3 are all amazing games, but Oblivion is way better than any of them. :shrug: Way better, yo.
:agreed: I much preferred Oblivion to Fallout 3. In fact, like people have said they threw the towel in on Oblivion, I threw it in on Fallout 3. I just couldn't get into it. :lol:

Keep at it though, dude. When you really get into the story lines (maybe not the main story, there are much better missions and what not for some of the guilds) it becomes pretty damn immersive.

Definitely one of my favourite games of all time.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts