Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week I had a disk corruption error on my laptop, so I decided to stop being lazy and really look into how my computer's been running. Looked at the event log, and I've been getting the "LMS Service cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver" pretty much since I got the computer, only there was no symptom of the problem. Now, I'm getting timeouts and slow boots, so I want to take care of the issue.

Thing is, I have the latest OEM drivers for my chipset. These were released back in March of last year, about the time Intel had a buggy driver out. Intel has more recent generic drivers available. I really want to eliminate this error, so would it be worthwhile/advisable to get the generic drivers?

Edit: Forgot to say, I already reinstalled all drivers after the disk corruption.

Also get this error:
WLAN Extensibility Module has failed to start.

Module Path: C:\Windows\system32\athExt.dll
Error Code: 126

Really annoying to see, but it doesn't really seem to have any effect on my system. Don't know if that's enough information to go on, but I thought I'd run it by you guys.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
fuck your oem. get the latest available drivers for the device

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

:agreed:

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Updated to all of the latest Intel drivers and I'm still getting "LMS Service cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver."

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Local Manageability Service. It's supposedly part of the chip platform and is meant to send and receive information for administrative applications for things like diagnostics and stuff. All it really does is generate critical errors. I don't think it's even really necessary.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
somethings fucked in the install. Id consider a fresh start

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dammit. I had a feeling I would need to reinstall, but I really just don't want to buy the disk.

Guess I'll backup and let the computer keep running like this and see what happens.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
dont buy a disk. just download one legitimately, and download a quick program to find your serial from the current install.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
If you get an OEM disc (such as from Dell) you can use the sticker on the bottom of your computer.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Phone them, support is always surprisingly helpful.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I think I'll try calling tomorrow. I have to look for the box in my closet to see if I did get an OEM disc, although I don't recall having one. I'm just really down on support because most of them don't know anything about computers and it's a headache to get any real help.

I'm done with computer stuff for tonight.

Edit: Ok, so I can never really be done with these things. After tons of research, I found out this LMS is mostly concerned with remote administration. I'm going to disable it in msconfig and see what happens! :)

Edit again: Disabled it and that fixed all my issues with hanging at the Welcome screen, timeouts, critical errors, and increased overall speed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts