Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm really inexperienced with trems in general so I thought I'd ask here. What's everyone's preference in trem, particularly the OFR 7 vs the Lo Pro Edge 7? I'm mostly concerned about tuning stability and durability. What's your favorite trem overall?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Honestly it comes down to preference. This is a sorely debated topic that probably shows up in a lot of threads if you search.

Generally speaking they are both highly durable and demonstrate perfect tuning stability when Set Up Properly.

I prefer the OFR.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Both are great for tuning stability and durability. I prefer the OFR because Im used to how the saddles feel but I wouldnt replace a LoPro just for a different saddle feel. If that was the only spec on an otherwise perfect guitar, I would still think its perfect.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
I love the lo pro7, have had an OFR7, but didn't like the feel as much. For me, either is good, just depends which one you like the feel of best really! Both have excellent tuning stability.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Both amazing units. Not a deal breaker.

Lo Pro has locking studs which could prevent ovaling of the stud holes (I've had OFR's do this)

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I currently have guitars with Lo-Pro's and a guitar with an OFR (actually 7DT's onld one) and both are good units. Again, it's just a preference which you prefer, and for me it's the Lo-Pro. That's probably because I grew up playing Lo-Pro equipped Ibanezes though. What I have done is swap the arm holder on one of my Lo-Pro's for the OFR arm holder, as the original was worn out. It's only been in a few weeks, but I'm thinking I prefer a Lo-Pro with an OFR arm.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Both are great trems, and I would (and do) happily use either.

Both amazing units. Not a deal breaker.

Lo Pro has locking studs which could prevent ovaling of the stud holes (I've had OFR's do this)
This is a bit of a problem in softer woods (basswood, etc), but only over long periods of time, and the OFR's threading is way tighter than a LoPro (which uses a wider thread) so this mitigates it somewhat. I think it was less an issue with OFRs that Ibanez fixed, than it was with earlier versions of the LoPro that didn't lock.

For durability, the OFR is all hardened steel, while the LoPro is a mix of hardened steel and molded pot metal. All the important bits are hardened, though, and the only trem I've ever actually had trouble with the body was the LoPro7 out of my 1991 Universe, where the metal started flaking out around the arm holder. This was probably a 20 year old trem in a guitar that had been absolutely abused before it got to me, though, so I'd say it passes most "normal" tests of durability.

For me, the deciding factor was an OFR is cheaper than a LoPro. :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
The arm holder system in the LoPro with the washer is a really weak point with those. They never seem to get to the right amount of arm 'stability' for me.

OFR7s are newer Floyds with less certain reliability, but all the vintage OFR6s I have are amazingly durable beasts that work just as well as they did when new.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
The arm holder system in the LoPro with the washer is a really weak point with those. They never seem to get to the right amount of arm 'stability' for me.
They're awesome with fairly (not perfectly) fresh bushings, but they get kind of slack after that.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
I just stick a piece of D'Addario string packaging in with the trem arm. Absolutely rock solid. I cannot abide those collared arms. They look awful on a Lo Pro, but worse, they never stay put once you touch them.

I don't really like the look or feel of OFR. Original Edge looks better, but feels the same. They both stick up too much and make me adjust my picking hand more than I'd like. Lo Pro is just perfect for me.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I just stick a piece of D'Addario string packaging in with the trem arm. Absolutely rock solid. I cannot abide those collared arms. They look awful on a Lo Pro, but worse, they never stay put once you touch them.

I don't really like the look or feel of OFR. Original Edge looks better, but feels the same. They both stick up too much and make me adjust my picking hand more than I'd like. Lo Pro is just perfect for me.
I never liked the collared arm, either. Once the Floyd push-in bar came out, I replaced all the collared arms on all of my Floyded guitars.

I actually prefer the taller profile of the OFR, especially top mounted, since it's more TOM-like. I tend to break guitarists down into two categories--those who want their picking hand above the surface of the guitar, and those who like to rest it on the surface of the guitar--and which bridge you prefer totally depends on your preference. I think the Floyd LoPro is built better than the Edge LoPro, since the entire baseplate is case hardened, but I hate the narrower string spacing.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
They're awesome with fairly (not perfectly) fresh bushings, but they get kind of slack after that.
It's probably what you're used to. I've never had a problem getting collared Floyd arms to behave like I want, but the Edge arms are either too tight or too loose to work for the way I use the arm. I could never get them adjusted the way I want.

Otherwise, the Edge and LoPro are nice designs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts