Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something I've been trying to figure out for a little while now, and I think I've *finally* traced the problem to the string retainer bar.

Basically, my high B and High E on my Suhr 7 tend to "stick" while I'm tuning - I'll twist the tuning peg and the pitch will remain stable, remain stable, remain stable... and then suddenly jump or fall sharply, way overshooting my target pitch. In some instances, while tuning up, this results in snapped strings, which if you're using Elixirs is a pain in the dick. The G through low B strings are fine.

I thought it was the tuning pegs at first, but last night while restringing actually bothered to closely watch the pegs while tuning, and sure enough they're rotating as they should be; the issue is that the string is "sticking" at either the bar (or, possibly, the nut - which, it should go without saying, is unlocked).

So far, I've tried swabbing the underside of the bar with a dry-formula PTFE-based lubricant (I have a good dry formula penetrating chain lube that I figured would be perfect for this) which didn't seem to make a huge difference. Last night I tried backing out the retainer bar about as far as I could to lessen the angle/pressure on the bar, which helped somewhat, though given the headstock offset it's still a fairly steep angle. I'm thinking longer screws might help, if I can find a direct replacement.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any other suggestions I should try? It's not the end of the world, exactly, but it makes the already-fun process of tuning a Floyd a little more laborious.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
I have an extra retainer bar for you to try I think. At least you can eliminate it as the problem if it is.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Any other suggestions I should try? It's not the end of the world, exactly, but it makes the already-fun process of tuning a Floyd a little more laborious.
Can you remove the retainer bar and not have a massive jump in pitch when you clamp the locking pads down? I appreciate there's no headstock angle on the Suhr design but removing the bar would be the simplest way in my book to ruling it in/out of being the problem.

Cheers,

Neil

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I eyeballed it - I think the wound strings would be ok, but the unwound ones might not be.

Mike - I don't THINK so, but it's tough to tell while it's strung up. It's a 2 year old guitar, too, so that would be surprising.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Can you remove the retainer bar and not have a massive jump in pitch when you clamp the locking pads down? I appreciate there's no headstock angle on the Suhr design but removing the bar would be the simplest way in my book to ruling it in/out of being the problem.

Cheers,

Neil
Thats exactly what I was going to say. Hell, my old shitty bc rich warlock w/floyd didnt even have a retainer bar on it at all. After clamp down, it was only off by a very slight margin.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:bump:

I swapped the stock bar that came with my Suhr for a brand new spare I had lying around, and this cleared right up. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you went with a set of tuners with staggered posts, could you remove the retainer bar altogether?
I did,m actually. The problem is it's a pretty high nut shelf, so it kind of needs something to pull the strings back in line with the tuners.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I did,m actually. The problem is it's a pretty high nut shelf, so it kind of needs something to pull the strings back in line with the tuners.
Does it? I've never had an issue with staggered posts on Fender-style necks and no retainer bar; but I'm not exactly a power user.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.