Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh hai guyz! In my absence, I have managed to get a job at the local Co-op. Now that I'm 18 (thanks for the birthday thread, Eric :wub: ), the rate of pay is good, and the overtime opportunities are lucrative. All of this means that I now feel much less guilty about buying another guitar. This time, I'm going to opt for one of the single-coil, maple fretboard variety.

Fender Standard Stratocaster

Sterling by Music Man Silo 30

I'm willing to listen to any other suggestions. The Sterling Silo 30 is about as expensive as I'm currently willing to go. I'll probably end up installing stacks, regardless of the guitar that I pick, so don't account for the quality of the stock pickups. It's also likely that I'll block the tremolo (if the guitar has one). Any suggestions, thoughts or advice are welcome. :wub:

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I've never heard of Sterling, but that thing looks like the sexy offspring of a mating between a EBMM JP and a Strat. :drool:
It's basically the new version of OLP. Cheap musicmans with a different badge. CIAM - don't bother, I know you'll pick up on that :fawk:

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you know which one I'd pick :D

EDIT : If you pick a strat, and are going to change the pups, I'd go for the standard SSS, and just put a single space bucker in. That weird 3 screw thing on the humbucker could prove problematic.
Hmmm, I never noticed that. I could buy a pickguard from Warmoth, but your solution is much simpler. It's not as if there's a lack of options from Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio.

I've never heard of Sterling, but that thing looks like the sexy offspring of a mating between a EBMM JP and a Strat. :drool:
It's basically the new version of OLP. Cheap musicmans with a different badge. CIAM - don't bother, I know you'll pick up on that :fawk:
:lol:

:agreed: The prices are quite a bit steeper than OLP's however.

I'm more partial to the look of the Silo 30. Unfortunately, both have obsenely high fretboard radii (I believe). :(

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
If the Silo 30 is like the regular Silhouette the radius is 10" which is that flat at all. It's about the same as most Fender's which are 9.5".

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
You can try and find a Carvin Bolt they aren't too pricey and used ones are downright cheap. Their fretboards are fairly flat and the necks are pretty fast.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'd go for the Silo myself, but I prefer 2-point trems, smaller bodies, and slightly less-traditional shapes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You can try and find a Carvin Bolt they aren't too pricey and used ones are downright cheap. Their fretboards are fairly flat and the necks are pretty fast.
Carvins don't turn up for sale much over here. Although there is an ebony boarded bolt on Ebay right now. It's purple too......

If you don't mind buying used another option for strats in that price range would be used Fender Japan and Tokai stuff.

·

745 Posts
I have played neither of these instruments, but since I'm not very fond of Fender strats (probably because I've yet to play a good one) and I love the looks of the Sterling - I'd choose the Silo 30 :)

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As TDM said, they're rare over here. :erk: The one that's currently floating around on the bay is purdy, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to justify buying it to the 'rents just yet. We'll see how things go.

I have played neither of these instruments, but since I'm not very fond of Fender strats (probably because I've yet to play a good one) and I love the looks of the Sterling - I'd choose the Silo 30 :)
I think I would go with the Strat since I prefer Alder to Basswood. It also seems like it would be more convenient to find replacement pickguards and such.
I've played basswood guitars I've absolutely loved, and I'm not too concerned over the typical complaint of low-end flub that seems to haunt basswood; this wouldn't be my tight-ass rhythm guitar.

The point about the versatility and mod-ability of the Strat is a good one. I can't see myself modding either guitar much, in all seriousness. The Silo does have locking tuning machines, too. :idea:

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
As TDM said, they're rare over here. :erk: The one that's currently floating around on the bay is purdy, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to justify buying it to the 'rents just yet. We'll see how things go.

I've played basswood guitars I've absolutely loved, and I'm not too concerned over the typical complaint of low-end flub that seems to haunt basswood; this wouldn't be my tight-ass rhythm guitar.

The point about the versatility and mod-ability of the Strat is a good one. I can't see myself modding either guitar much, in all seriousness. The Silo does have locking tuning machines, too. :idea:
Get the 335 sold first. Then you should have a shot at justifying it :rofl:

I'd go with the strat. If that's the kind of guitar you're considering, I wouldn't go with anything else.

Also, you can get locking tuners that retrofit the strat ones, and they're made by the same company that make the MM ones - they're both Schaller IIRC.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Get the 335 sold first. Then you should have a shot at justifying it :rofl:

I'd go with the strat. If that's the kind of guitar you're considering, I wouldn't go with anything else.

Also, you can get locking tuners that retrofit the strat ones, and they're made by the same company that make the MM ones - they're both Schaller IIRC.
Fuck the 335. :lol: I'm just about at the end of my patience with it; I'm going to give it one last rewire, and sell it if it doesn't play ball.

I know what you're saying; the Strat is the proven original, but what's the worst that could happen if I were to buy the Silo? I found the neck profile on your Strat a little too thick, and I'm inclined to believe that the Silo has a thinner one.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
What's the worst that could happen if I were to buy the Silo?
You put Bare Knuckles in it and fuck it right up? :fawk:

Ultimately, it's your decision, but I'd go with the strat. You can come up and give mine a proper try out if you like.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I'd hit the strat too. The newer Mexican strats aren't half bad - go play a couple, and buy the best of the bunch.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I've got it tonight and tomorrow, then it's going to Inverness for a while to get a fret dress.
Is it alright if I give you a shout post fret-dress? I've obviously left it too late tonight, and I clock-out at 21:00 tomorrow.

Oh, anyone who doesn't live in our neck of the woods should feel free to chime in with any thoughts. :lol:

Aside from the Carvin bolt, are there any other good options for HSS, (preferably) maple fretboard guitars?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.