Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than make 500 threads about it, I figure this could be a pretty cool little project. I'm going to make a metal patch, and all of you armchair recording experts are going to help me. I'll post the settings and upload the sysex files as I go, and other people with AFX's can grab them, tweak, upload their own, etc, and in the end we'll have a beastly preset. Or at least I will, and that's really all I care about anyway. That, and Lindsay Lohan, of course.

Anyhow.. Please don't fill this thread with bullshit. Comment and suggest, I'll tweak and record with it, and we'll see how it ends up going. I'll do what I can to try everything (reasonable) that's suggested, and will make a short, basic clip of what it sounds like. So, if you're thinking "What does the Ultra sound like direct without any mixing?", this is the thread for you to pay attention to.

The Details:

• I'll basically always use the same guitar, which will be my mahogany 2027 with Blazes in it, unless someone says "hey, try that with a different guitar".
  • Zero post-processing in Reaper. One single track, and that's it.
  • I'll try to play relatively the same thing each time, but honestly I'm just going to improv whatever nonsense pops into my head at the time. It won't always be spot on. Nobody is perfect all the time.

The Disclaimer: This is not a pickup or guitar tone thread. I am starting COMPLETELY NEUTRAL. This is going to sound like shit. It DOES sound like shit. So, fire away, and we'll get started. :yesway:

Again, this sounds bad. This is a totally shit setup for this type of sound. Nobody runs their EQ like this. That's the point. Don't listen to this and think it's how the Axe-Fx sounds. It's not. This is what it sounds like if you run the settings below, which nobody would ever do. I do not want to start out with something that I think is good and go from there. I want to start out flat, and see what you guys come up with. That's the point.

Ahem.. :wub:

First, here are my settings for the initial take. This is the default cab setting, and default amp setting, with the EQ at noon. The only thing I've done other than flatten the EQ is to min/max the HPF/LPF so that everything comes though. Nobody needs the sysex, because I'm pretty sure you can figure out how to recreate this one yourselves. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And this is what it sounds like. I realize that this thread may end up being a lot of me talking to myself, but I do think it'd be pretty neat to see where it goes, since there are a lot of knowledgable dudes on here. (And plenty of you motherfuckers who certainly post as though you are, you know who you are. :lol:)

Mahogany RG2027, Blaze Bridge, Recto Orange model, 2x 4x12 30W cabs, 57 DYN, no boost:

http://www.metalguitarist.org/mgafxpatch/themgrecto-1.mp3
link

Let's hear your suggestions! :metal:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take #2. Rolled back the mids, added some treble and presence, and flipped the boost on.

Mahogany RG2027, Blaze Bridge, Recto Orange model, 2x 4x12 30W cabs, 57 DYN, Boosted:

http://www.metalguitarist.org/mgafxpatch/themgrecto-2.mp3
link

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
Very cool Idea Chris. I like it. Are you just sticking with Amp+ Cab? Stock Cabs only? No boost?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool Idea Chris. I like it. Are you just sticking with Amp+ Cab? Stock Cabs only? No boost?
I'll do whatever you guys suggest, as long as I have the impulse handy (or can get it). I have the Redwirez Mesa, Engl and Marshall IRs, and the stock ones, that's it. Different boosts, mics, drive blocks, comps, filters, whatever. The only thing that I want to keep the same is the amp model. I'll even post-process it in reaper/doubletrack if you want to check it out.

If it includes those, or is built into the Ultra, I'll dial in whatever you want to hear. :yesway: If it gets to any point that you'd like the sysex, just let me know.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can't wait to see where this goes. Where's Nolly? :lol:

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
Awesome.

After Nollys recommendation I am running my Rec Orange through the Redwirez Mesa sm57 CapEdge 3" I think? I keep loading cabs and forgetting to take a screen shot of what is in my bank but it is either 2" or 3" that did it for me. Give it a shot.

TS808 MOD Drive 0, Tone 5 Level 5.8 Mix 80% is what I currently have running into it. I also turned the Mid freq on the TS down a hair.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome.

After Nollys recommendation I am running my Rec Orange through the Redwirez Mesa sm57 CapEdge 3" I think? I keep loading cabs and forgetting to take a screen shot of what is in my bank but it is either 2" or 3" that did it for me. Give it a shot.

TS808 MOD Drive 0, Tone 5 Level 5.8 Mix 80% is what I currently have running into it. I also turned the Mid freq on the TS down a hair.
Well, I was recording while you were editing in the 808, but otherwise.. :lol:

Here it is with Redwirez Mesa / SM57 / CapEdge 2". No 808 though. Again, I'm just sitting in my computer chair playing wtfever, so consider this my last apology for any slop, haha.

http://www.metalguitarist.org/mgafxpatch/themgrecto-3.mp3

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Power down the AxeFx and power up your Roadster. :yesway: :D :lol:
I have neighbors dude. In all honesty, I know why you guys say it, but I can't properly record a tube amp in my house. I'd love to be able to, but it's just not in the cards. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
EDIT

Sorry, you didn't want discussion. Tone is sounding better, but still a bit fizzy and muffled at the same time.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
I have neighbors dude. In all honesty, I know why you guys say it, but I can't properly record a tube amp in my house. I'd love to be able to, but it's just not in the cards. :lol:
You know I'm just petting you backwards? :D

Anywho... I like the first clip best. I'm not a treble guy. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Discussion is fine man. I just want to (Try to) avoid the inevitable "lol axe-fx, wow that sounds bad" posts. As long as people understand before posting that I am not posting mixed shit or perfectly edited and sliced up playing, it's cool.

I'm the only guy on here that posts up raw shit without editing it twelve ways from Sunday, so I think it might be cool for people to hear the evolution of the tone, and what the unit actually sounds like before gobs of post production. (Which every single amp, modeler, and otherwise out there needs in a mix anyway).

And yep, I agree on the tone. What would you do? :wub:

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
I would obviously suggest tweaking the amp sim controls a bit to desired result but I also usually through a Para eq with #1 and #5 set to blocking to cut off the highs and lows as needed.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You know I'm just petting you backwards? :D
Your beard gives me mahogany.

Anywho... I like the first clip best. I'm not a treble guy. :yesway:
Same here, but I'm learning that it's a necessary evil in a mix. That first clip would be a giant pile of shit with other instruments around it. :\

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Question for you. Whats the point in making a sweet tone if it may not sit well in a mix anyways?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Question for you. Whats the point in making a sweet tone if it may not sit well in a mix anyways?
Read the title of the thread. I'm looking to make a patch for direct recording, and it's in the recording studio forum.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I actually really like that second tone. Needs some tightening in the low end though as we've still got a bit too much "squash"... I'd add a TS out front for that. Maybe cut out some more bass on the amp too.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts