Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see XLR inputs and balanced line inputs on the back of these things.
I go balanced line out of my Axe in to each monitor. But how do I connect that to my computer so I can play mp3 etc thru the powered monitors and play thru the Axe simultaneaously?? Can I go XLR into the bac of my Computer while I am running into the other inputs form my AXe? I see inpts but no outputs??
What a fucking Noob I am at this :rofl:

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You can either run the Axe into your computer and out from the computer to the monitors, or buy a mixer and run both the Axe and computer into the mixer and out from the mixer to the monitors.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm I have a mixer. I may be able to just swith my default playback deveice from the default speakers (when I don't want to use the Axe) to the outputs of the Axe when I am recording or creating patches?
the thing is my default speaker system going out of my computer soundcard is going to a Technics sound sytem with Polk audio speakers. I don't want to lose that if I don't have to (although I don't know how good these monitors sound mayde I won't need it?)
Chris how did you have this thing hooked up??

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I had the 1/4" outputs from the AxeFx into my interface (MOTU 828) and the MOTU set as the sound card on my computer. Then I ran the main outs on the MOTU to my monitors.

The only thing I used the USB for was for a dry DI.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the 1/4" outputs from the AxeFx into my interface (MOTU 828) and the MOTU set as the sound card on my computer. Then I ran the main outs on the MOTU to my monitors.

The only thing I used the USB for was for a dry DI.
I had a feeling that's what you did (that's what Zimbloth does too)
I have a crappy little M-aduio Mobile Pre that I've been using with my "mic'd"
approach, but I want to see if I can circumvent using it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
How many inputs does the mobile pre have?

If your machine has a headphone jack (or the regular sound card out) you can run that into the M-Audio as another input on it's own channel. That way your PC's sound plays into the interface, along with the input from the Axe-Fx.

You can get the MkII interface that I have crazy cheap now that the MkIII is out, and the MkII is fucking awesome. Best interface I've ever owned.

MOTU 828mkII FireWire Audio Interface 8 in/8out USED | eBay

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
two line ins and two Xlr "Mic" inputs.
the Interface I have should be ok, it's just that I don't want to use it if I don't have to .
The other thing I jsut thought of is maybe just plugging the powered monitors directly into the sound card on my Computer when I don't need the Axe on ( I have the Xlr cable for this (ths split one) and when I do record or use the Axe thru the Computer use the Axe as the Sound card??? Each monitor has and Xlr and a line inpit so I guess I could jsut plug and unplg as need be?
I guess I'm going to have to experiment a bit as I have an audio interface and I have a 4 channel mixer, so I do have some options here.

Nothing fucking simple is it:ugh:

How many inputs does the mobile pre have?

If your machine has a headphone jack (or the regular sound card out) you can run that into the M-Audio as another input on it's own channel. That way your PC's sound plays into the interface, along with the input from the Axe-Fx.

You can get the MkII interface that I have crazy cheap now that the MkIII is out, and the MkII is fucking awesome. Best interface I've ever owned.

MOTU 828mkII FireWire Audio Interface 8 in/8out USED | eBay

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK I finally got this all worked out.
There is a setting under the I/O menu for the USB output (buried way down in the list
it defaults to input(which send a clean signal). Set it to Output 1 and everything works YAY!!!!!
So I still have my Technics Sound system going into my soundcard . If I plug in the Axe thru USB it takes over as the Computer Sound card and everything goes thru the Powered Monitors. (NO Audio Interface required) if I unplug the USB the computer defaults back to it's "default' sound system which is the Technics. I also have Outputs 2 going out to my mesa 50/50 power amp out to the 2 2X12 cabs. this gives me the flexiblitiy to record and make patches thru the powered monitors. Jam along to an MP3 thru the powered monitors while windows Media player is using the Technics system
or jam along thru the Power amp and crank up the Technics system.
I think down the road I'd like to get rid of the whole sound system and just get bigger moniotrs. These are supposedly 70 Watt but they can't keep up with my Polk Audio Speakers at all (12 inch woofers 4 inch tweeters).
Jesus, this took me long enough to figure out , the manual really should highlight theat usb Setting under the I/O menu. if someone on the Fractal forum hadn't mentioned it I may still have my m-Audio interface hooked up all pissed off :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Gheeeesh what a learnign experience this was:flex:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts