Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wirelessly posted

So i need a laptop for the road, all I have is a PC that needs a little tlc to be optimal.

My neighbour has an 08 macbook (aluminum) hes going to sell. He will update the OS.

It has the 2GB processor with 2GB RAM (im not worried about storage, my music collection is not large). What I am wondering is

A) will it run Reaper and Guitar Rig 5 (i think) OK with those specs?

B) can i upgrade the RAM to 4GB for a model that old, relatively cheaply so it will run the programs? Besides recording demo ideas i will use it for skype, browsing, email and maybe a dabble of word processing.

Aside from that i am looking at refurbished acer models at the $399 mark (a better computer).

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_374&item_id=074222

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Is it the same memory as a 2011? I'm gonna take the 4G out of mine and take it to 16G. Maybe we can work something out.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Yup, go 8 GB. I just upgraded my wife's 12" first-gen unibody aluminum MacBook to 8 GB and it makes a HUGE difference. It was unusable with newer versions of Mac OS and 2 GB. It cost $100 from OWC.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Wirelessly posted

Does it make sense to upgrade his vs. Buy a different make and model with the 8GB already in it? I am no devotee to brands and the last time I used a mac regularly was the mid 90's..

Edit: darren it sounds like hers is the same year as this one then. If he can do $200 it does come out more cost efficient (which is key, with a 3-week tour coming up)

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
They're pretty solid machines for the most part. The only problem we have with my wife's machine is the physical click on the trackpad doesn't work reliably, but since it's a multi-touch trackpad, you can do the tap-click, three-finger drag, etc.

Her machine only "officially" supported 4GB when it was made, but OWC figured out how to get it to work with more.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wirelessly posted

Cool. He's thinking $250, does that sound reasonable? I will get the RAM upgrade closer to march most likely (or xmas sale). Afaik the track pad is fine.

I will have to learn Mac haha, luckily my bandmates in sparrows are both apple users.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
For $250 I'd be all over that.

OSX destroys Windows for recording man. I'm on a 2009 iMac and it still does absolutely everything I need it to with zero issues. Older hardware especially - OSX on a 5 year old machine vs. Windows on a 5 year old machine is a night and day difference.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wirelessly posted

Cool stuff. Thanks guys! I look forward to being able to skype on a screen bigger than my nexus 5 while I'm gone :lol:.

As well as record random ideas while between gigs :yesway:.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
OK, that deal fell through unfortunately.

This was listed today, I've asked about the year. 8GB and price is what has my attention. I messaged him, waiting to hear back.

MacBook Pro | laptops | London | Kijiji

edit: he'll take $400 but it needs a new battery (half hour after full charge).
I don't care for the C2D processor, but otherwise for $400 that's not a bad deal. Those are very easy/cheap to upgrade to an SSD too.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wirelessly posted

He had trouble updating the OS so I said let m know and i'll keep looking. It looks like amazon.ca has battery replacements for $55

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.