Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

APOD: 2010 December 27 - One Million Galaxies

Are the nearest galaxies distributed randomly? A plot of over one million of the brightest "extended sources" detected by the Two Micron All Sky Survey (2MASS) shows that they are not. The vast majority of these infrared extended sources are galaxies. Visible above is an incredible tapestry of structure that provides limits on how the universe formed and evolved. Many galaxies are gravitationally bound together to form clusters, which themselves are loosely bound into superclusters, which in turn are sometimes seen to align over even larger scale structures. In contrast, very bright stars inside our own Milky Way Galaxy cause the vertical blue sash.
:eek:

Reactions: Soopahmahn

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Space is so cool, if I wasn't borderline retarded at math I would get into astrosciences. :(

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
i wonder how many are still there? considering how long it takes the light to hit us/the cameras taking those photos.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Space is so cool, if I wasn't borderline retarded at math I would get into astrosciences. :(
I suck at math. Stop being a pussy :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
The universe is pretty fucking huge... is still a big understatement.

I suck at math. Stop being a pussy :lol:
:agreed: I sucked at math in high school, but I took lots of astronomy classes in college and was surprised to find that I could actually do math relatively well when I was interested in the subject matter and the numbers had meaning behind them.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The universe is pretty fucking huge... is still a big understatement.

:agreed: I sucked at math in high school, but I took lots of astronomy classes in college and was surprised to find that I could actually do math relatively well when I was interested in the subject matter and the numbers had meaning behind them.
Actually that same thing happened to me. I did pretty good in all those classes. I even took a Math class and did well on that too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts