Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I love how all the modern pop starlets who cite Jackson as a huge influence glean right over the fact that he had an army of badass session guys throwing down on some awesomely written songs, rather than just singing over drum/keyboard loops.

·
18,790 Posts
^ :agreed: Not to mention he actually wrote with his producers, like, actually wrote and arranged the songs, singing out bass lines and rhythm ideas, rather than just showing up and singing over a pre-made track and changing a couple of words so they can feel like they "wrote" it.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I never understood why people held Madonna up there with MJ. One is an actually musician, and the other is a mediocre voice attached to a dancer that takes her clothes off to shitty songs.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never understood why people held Madonna up there with MJ. One is an actually musician, and the other is a mediocre voice attached to a dancer that takes her clothes off to shitty songs.
Mad skill at copping Cindy Lauper's vibe and taking it to a new level?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Mad skill at copping Cindy Lauper's vibe and taking it to a new level?
Mad skill at keeping a finger on the pulse of popular taste, I suppose, and staying one step ahead. The fact she's still considered fairly relevant as a "pop star" today is really pretty striking.

MJ for me is a lot like early Metallica. I don't particularly care for his music, but I respect the hell out of it. It's just SO well executed and put together.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mad skill at keeping a finger on the pulse of popular taste, I suppose, and staying one step ahead. The fact she's still considered fairly relevant as a "pop star" today is really pretty striking.

MJ for me is a lot like early Metallica. I don't particularly care for his music, but I respect the hell out of it. It's just SO well executed and put together.
See, there's a difference. Not caring for early MJ is one thing. Not caring for early Metallica while being a Nirvana fan makes you a heretic.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I had always thought that the bass line was synth, but apparently it was played by Louis Johnson of the Brothers Johnson, who did a lot of session work for Quincy Jones.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
:agreed: Madonna is like the Lance Armstrong of the pop world. She is not the best or most talented but she has a strategy that keeps her relevant. Proof that you don't have to be "the best" you just have to know how to leverage what you do have.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
:agreed: Madonna is like the Lance Armstrong of the pop world. She is not the best or most talented but she has a strategy that keeps her relevant. Proof that you don't have to be "the best" you just have to know how to leverage what you do have.
Except that at one point in time, Lance was the best cyclist in the world, and his approach to the sport completely changed the way other cyclists approached it. He's actually more Michael Jackson than Madonna.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
See, there's a difference. Not caring for early MJ is one thing. Not caring for early Metallica while being a Nirvana fan makes you a heretic.
:shrug: I just prefer Testament. Sorry. I think it's the drumming, really...

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Except that at one point in time, Lance was the best cyclist in the world, and his approach to the sport completely changed the way other cyclists approached it. He's actually more Michael Jackson than Madonna.
Once was yes. But today he follows more of the Madonna strategy to keep his brand value.

Much like MJ people tend to forget that he has a team of support behind him that help make him look that good. Lance is probably most famous for his Tour De France winning streak but it would not have been possible without his team mates. It's still about strategy.

Cycling: Armstrong blames team's strategy for Tour struggles - Omaha.com

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Once was yes. But today he follows more of the Madonna strategy to keep his brand value.

Much like MJ people tend to forget that he has a team of support behind him that help make him look that good. Lance is probably most famous for his Tour De France winning streak but it would not have been possible without his team mates. It's still about strategy.

Cycling: Armstrong blames team's strategy for Tour struggles - Omaha.com
To take that analogy further, MJ was the same with later albums.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts