Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I build myself a new computer once every two years but don't really keep up with the computer scene anymore or pay attention to what specs are hot. I check Tom's Hardware like, once or twice a year, and that's about it.

Anyways, I lost one of the side panels to my current case. Antec, my third variant of that case, only case worth buying IMO, since many of the higher end ones look like cheap, gaudy shit with light up fans everywhere and hinged doors covering the front bays and stupid shit like that.

https://www.amazon.com/Antec-Three-Hundred-Gaming-Computer/dp/B000GQMHBI

When I clicked a couple articles and found out "open air" cases are the new big thing. I've left a side panel off the vast majority of my PCs since I built my first one in my teens, just because I mess around in there a lot, but seeing it be the new trend kind of took me by surprise.

Some of the designs look cool, but I can't believe I went to buy a new side panel for a PC Case only to find out the hot new thing is cases that are open air on purpose. Only the understated boxy ones of course, I can't stand overdone PC cases.

Anyone here build one of these yet?

https://techguided.com/open-air-pc-case/

Some of the designs are pretty fucking cool, but I'm not sure how I feel about paying more for a lack of panels, when I've just been leaving the panels off existing cases for most of my PC building time.

At a quick glance it looks like Thermaltake has some cool/classy ones, and a couple of the ones that are like, off road vehicle roll case style look cool. Not sure about paying a premium for something I do already though. Realistically I do think it's better to leave the panel on, even though heat management is better without it, but some of these do look fucking rad. Dunno how long these have been "in", since I don't keep up to date with to the minute tech news, but kind of funny to see it becoming a trend to see cases designed that way on purpose.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
If I didn't have so many pets I'd be all over that shit. I'd like one without the cover even. You know how easy that would make it to just hit it up with a compressor and keep it dusted?

I love the large format wallmount ones (yes I know the one you posted can be wallmounted)

Edit: Yeah I totally meant to post an aws link :lol:

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I'm not really big on them but most are gimmicky aside from the test benches which are mostly for doing reviews. You don't get airflow over most components so cooling is not really that great (especially on passive components like motherboards).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts