Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Nope
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a some trouble with open string buzz on my guitar it happens on the 7th , 6th , and 4th (the 4th is the worse is sound very flappy almost like someone is slapping a bass string) I looked into this and a common solution I've seen for this problem is "shim" the nut. How would I go about doing this and what tools would I need, the guitar does have a Floyd Rose (Original if that helps) and also does anyone what size Allen wrench fits the poles at the back of the floyd Rose to allow you to remove/place strings in the there. So for my Nooby questions, I know some of you may say take it to a tech but I've done all the maintenance on my non-Floyd guitars and Installed a Tremol-No into my Loomis (the guitar in question) without any problems. so I'd prefer to this DIY.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
depending on the sound it could be many things really. Fret buzz, the nut, the truss rod, the bridge, you name it.

·
Nope
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
depending on the sound it could be many things really. Fret buzz, the nut, the truss rod, the bridge, you name it.
Whenever I strum any of the strings mentioned open the buzz is originates from the nut if that helps.

·
Nope
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would sticking something flat and sturdy under the nut do the trick?

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Have you tried putting some relief on your neck? Loosen your truss rod quarter turn at a time and let the guitar set for a little while in between turns to allow effect. Keep check after every turn....when the buzz stops....stop adjusting. Then you will probably have to set up your guitar again.This may fix your problem though.

·
Nope
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried putting some relief on your neck? Loosen your truss rod quarter turn at a time and let the guitar set for a little while in between turns to allow effect. Keep check after every turn....when the buzz stops....stop adjusting. Then you will probably have to set up your guitar again.This may fix your problem though.

Also the internet is your friend. Google has a thousand videos on how to deal with this. ;)
Will try adjusting the truss rod first if that doesn't help, btw which direction do I turn the rod, do I just turn it bit to the right and if that doesn't work turn it a bit to the left?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

Is it a string height issue or a neck relief issue? Both have different fixes

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Will try adjusting the truss rod first if that doesn't help, btw which direction do I turn the rod, do I just turn it bit to the right and if that doesn't work turn it a bit to the left?
Probably counter clock wise.....but look it up for your guitar as some are different.

·
Nope
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

Is it a string height issue or a neck relief issue? Both have different fixes
Judging by what I've read on shimming and open string buzz it's usually a height issue

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Also the internet is your friend. Google has a thousand videos on how to deal with this. ;)
Don't do this kind of thing here. :squint:

The internet has a thousand links on how to deal with this - that lead to threads with a gaggle douchebags telling the OP to Google it. Just help the guy out instead.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Honestly, dude, I'd pay a guy $40~ to set it up, I know it's not much help, but it'll get done right. Shims should be a last resort and from what I understand are more commonly applicable with older guitars or ones with low frets. Don't quote me on the last statement.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Turning clockwise takes away relief, counter clockwise adds relief.

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Dana said:
Turning clockwise takes away relief, counter clockwise adds relief.
Just a tip I learned the hard way, turn it left first, so you're not over tightening it. I stripped out a truss rod head before because I didn't realize how tight it was.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Don't do this kind of thing here. :squint:

The internet has a thousand links on how to deal with this - that lead to threads with a gaggle douchebags telling the OP to Google it. Just help the guy out instead.
Sorry.:ugh::facemelt:

Also, I'm not sure, but did you just call me a gaggling douchebag??:lol:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Truss rod adjustments for many can be scary.

If you need immediate gratification then take it to a pro.

If you're willing to take your time.

Make small adjustments - keep track of what happens.

Did the buzzing get better or did it get worse?

Once you've done it a couple of times with success you'll wonder why you were scared.

If it seems like you're having to use way to much force then you probably are - take a step back and re-evaluate.

·
Nope
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My old strat allen wrench won't fit the Loomis's rod so I'll have to buy one that fits anybody know what size fits most Schecter rods?

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
A 5/32" or 4mm Allen wrench will fit the Schecter two-way adjustable truss rod.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts