Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come up with the perfect software synth solution. This is exactly what I was lookin' for. :yesway: If you have two machines, an interface and a DAW, do like so!

First, get yourself a snappy Macbook Pro, and run Kore Player on it:

Then, get Ye Ole 1/8" Stereo to 1/4" Stereo cable, and run the output of your laptop/slave machine into your interface:

Behold the blinking lights!

Then in Reaper, just fire up that input on it's own track:

And do your best Rudess impersonation! :metal:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I'm confused. What are you using to trigger the synth sounds in Kore, and why not just run Kore player as a plug-in, if you're just going to use Reaper anyway? What's the point of two machines?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol: Nah.

Synths are fun as fuck though. I'm layering all sorts of shit over one of my songs, and though it's making a giant mess, I think that eventually I'll be able to actually do something pretty tasteful.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
:lol: Nah.

Synths are fun as fuck though. I'm layering all sorts of shit over one of my songs, and though it's making a giant mess, I think that eventually I'll be able to actually do something pretty tasteful.
You will wait two weeks, then you will see the awesomeness that is my GR-55, in all its synth glory! :rofl:

Seriously, I'm dying here. 3 month back order, and it's finally shipping this week. Onboard synths, soft synth control, and VG COSM modeling.

·
18,790 Posts
That's basically how I did all the synth/sample parts in the studio with Terrorhorse, running Ableton Live or Reason on my laptop. :agreed:

These days I do it all with software synths in Pro Tools, mostly for convenience, but I'd love to get a really nice actual synth or two some day, and gradually working my way up to more outboard gear and less software processing, simply because I like the magic of capturing a moment you can't re-create more than I like the convenience of endless tweakability.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I'm really getting into more of the synthy stuff, however I positively suck at keys, so I've been going the route of the Roland stuff which has been interesting. The new one has the benefit of not only having the internal sounds (910 of them), but also outputting both audio and MIDI data over USB to the compy. Additionally, it does the VG/Variax thing by modeling a number of electric & acoustic guitars, as well as basses. So it's really a Swiss Army knife.
Eventually I'd love to get a Z-Tar Z5 guitar-shaped MIDI controller, but they're pricey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts