Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I'd be worried about what that little string tension would do t the neck of a Strat in the long run, and I really have NO idea how it sounds under gain with regular strings, in that second demo - it sounds kind of warbly, but it's tough to tell...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
There is a reason why wound magnetic pickups have been around this long.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
There is a reason why wound magnetic pickups have been around this long.
Because they cost 30 cents in parts to make and manufacturers can charge $100+ per solely by using nebulous adjectives?

I mean, "they sound good and if it isn't broke don't fix it", logic aside, no pickup company wants to see someone make advancements for the same reason the gasoline lobby supposedly "killed" the electric car. :lol:

The profit margin on pickups for a known company must be pretty good.

Not that I'm rushing out to but some hokey "optical pickups", but there are at least 7-8 companies I can think of off the top of my head that have strongly vested interests in not rocking the "charge consumers hundreds for a bit of wire and some magnets" boat.

Is there an illuminati esque conspiracy there?

Probably not...... but you never know. Larry Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan might be meeting in robes right now discussing the latest round of price fixing.

·
410 Posts
I wonder how badly it tracks when you pick near or above the pickup. :scratch:
Every one of those videos had the player picking the strings about as far from the pickup as possible.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Because they cost 30 cents in parts to make and manufacturers can charge $100+ per solely by using nebulous adjectives?

I mean, "they sound good and if it isn't broke don't fix it", logic aside, no pickup company wants to see someone make advancements for the same reason the gasoline lobby supposedly "killed" the electric car. :lol:

Not that I'm rushing out to but some hokey "optical pickups", but there are at least 7-8 companies I can think of off the top of my head that have strongly vested interests in not rocking the "charge consumers hundreds for a bit of wire and some magnets" boat.

Probably not...... but you never know. Larry Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan might be meeting in robes right now discussing the latest round of price fixing.
Dimarzio and Duncan are definitely not allies :lol: Ask anyone at Duncan what they think of the double cream trademark, it'll get pretty animated.

Plenty of room for new tech in the pickups industry, look at what Fishman is doing with Fluence. There's no copper wire there, it's all PCB based, and sounds fantastic. I prefer the no batteries approach myself, but still.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

Or because guitarists are traditionalists that like traditional sounds. Les Paul tried to get everyone to use low impedance pickups in the 70s and failed spectacularly. I don't know how many threads we've been through about all manner of noise canceling or stacked humbuckers not sounding like real singlecoils. EMG is probably the most notable non-traditional pickup--even then it's just a standard humbucker with a very weak magnet and a preamp--and just look how divisive it is. We all know plenty of guys who wanted to buy a seven string and lamented the fact that they would be stuck with EMG and their stupid route. A different approach would already exist if guitarists were clamoring for it. We're talking about a community full of guys who still use heavy, cumbersome, temperamental amplifiers built on vacuum tubes that everyone else replaced with transistors back in the 50s. Meanwhile, bassists have lightweight, durable switchless amplifiers and a flexible active preamp built into the instrument.

There's no conspiracy akin to jewelers hoarding diamonds to artificially inflate the value on the market, man. Guitarists just hate change.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Clearly you just aren't woke enough, it's the perfect cover story.
You gotta tune out the mainstream corporate guitar media, man!

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We're talking about a community full of guys who still use heavy, cumbersome, temperamental amplifiers built on vacuum tubes that everyone else replaced with transistors back in the 50s. Meanwhile, bassists have lightweight, durable switchless amplifiers and a flexible active preamp built into the instrument.

There's no conspiracy akin to jewelers hoarding diamonds to artificially inflate the value on the market, man. Guitarists just hate change.
:yesway:

·
18,790 Posts
Dimarzio and Duncan are definitely not allies :lol: Ask anyone at Duncan what they think of the double cream trademark, it'll get pretty animated.

Plenty of room for new tech in the pickups industry, look at what Fishman is doing with Fluence. There's no copper wire there, it's all PCB based, and sounds fantastic. I prefer the no batteries approach myself, but still.
I was just about to mention Fishman. They're doing some really cool stuff, and while they're not at the market share of Duncan, DiMarzio, Fender, Gibson, or EMG yet, people are buying them and seem to love them. I really want to try a set, but I don't have a guitar that I want to change the sound of yet :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Of course, Fishman has been around for decades as well; just not so much in the "magnetic pickups" realm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts