Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need straploks for the JP70, I've mostly used Schaller but I'm curious about the Dunlops. I know they stick out a little further than the Schaller but I like the dual design aspect. I know Chris had trouble with his Schallers coming off the strap, and I remember Stitch had his rip out of the RG...I'm just curious for any basswood owners with the Dunlops if you've ever had issues being a softer wood and all?

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I see them on every other RG... So presumably they're okay. If you wanna be safe you could put a touch of wood glued in the threads of the screws. I had them on a JP7, 7621, JP70, 7421, and 7321 with no issues. I did not, however, gig with them.

·
Parental Advisory
288 Posts
I've got Dunlops in all my guitars except one, mostly the "Traditional" version but my main has the Dual Design ones, as does my Poplar VRS (which, iirc is similar in density to basswood).

One thing that I did differently from the instructions, however, was I DID NOT drill the hole out to be wider than it was for the original pins, I just used the existing holes and screwed the Straploks in very carefully. As much as I can understand why they say to drill them out, it seems more secure to me if you don't. The only people I've heard having the strap locks rip out (don't know about Chris and Stitch though) are all people who've enlarged the hole first, or used the original screws rather than the new ones.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've used both schaller and dunlops extensively. I never drill holes out either. They both work well but on some straps the schaller nut loosens often.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Cliplocks are the most secure, point blank. Always use them when possible. They don't look right on some guitars though, use Schallers on those.

Never use Dunlops. Ever. If the locking mechanisms fail on Schallers you still have the U shaped piece holding the strap pin. Dunlops are different, in that if the locking mechanism fails, you are shit out of luck and your guitar is on the floor. Anyone who uses Dunlops over Schallers is crazy.

Schallers won't fail, yes you have to check that the hex nut on the piece that attaches to the strap is still on securely every once in a while. Use Loctite if you must. If you install them correctly, the only reason they would ever tear out is if you are using a shitty basswood guitar (highly unlikely even then) or you are doing c-c-c-c-crazy moves on stage, in which case you should really be using Cliplocks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree ..... Schaller is a far more secure product than the dunlops because of the U hold. I don't right off know what clip locks are so I'll have to check them out.

The brands I see are Dunlop, schaller and Ernie ball.

Edit- damn clip licks are the first ones I ever had in the early 90s lol!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts