Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to trade for one of these but am not sure if it would suit me or not. There isn't one around here to try out so all I can go by are the specs on the EBMM site as well as various reviews. That's helpful of course, but I'm curious what your collective thoughts are (well, those who own or have played it)??

I'm sorta worried the neck is gonna be stupid small and skinny, and I'm not wild about the sparkly finish but that might not be as obvious in person. Finally, the switch below the bridge pup looks perfectly positioned to be accidentally whacked unintentionally all the time.

At any rate, thanks in advance for insights!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I haven't played the XI but every opinion I've read of them has been basically "they're amazing".

I have a JP6 and a JP7 and the necks are definitely not small/skinny - they're fantastic. (I only say that because I'm not sure if the neck profile is the same on the XI.)

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

I've played a bunch of the basswood ones, and they are easily the best basswood guitars I've ever played. Since I am not much of a fan of basswood, so the XI pretty much fixes my sole complaint about the JP model. The neck profile is amazing, the fretwork is immaculate, and the body is amazingly comfortable.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Plus (again assuming that the trem is the same/similar to the regular ones) the trem is FANTASTIC.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

It is literally a JP6/7 with a different body wood. It is the best production 7 IMHO.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that's what I've read as well - that they're amazing. Still, if it's anything like an Axis then the neck will be too tiny for me personally. It sounds like they aren't though, right? The SS frets are a serious plus.

What about the carve? Is it a D or a C?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

That's cool and all, but could you take a picture of the neck carve and measure that?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome, and thanks for that! I too would be curious about the neck carve, especially as regards D vs C profile

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again Chris for the pic/measurement. I think maybe he meant neck thickness? Just a guess... Again, appreciate the info!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Terrific! Thanks again.

So, for those who own/know/can compare, do the JPXI models share these same thickness measurements, profile, etc..?

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
The neck is pretty much identical. It's a VERY minimal amount thicker, and I think that's purely due to the paint.

It does have Extra Jumbo frets on the guitar, unlike the basswood version that Chris and Dave are talking about. It's a super comfortable guitar. It's also a slightly different body shape than the basswood version, but it's still very comfortable. Doesn't have the scoop that the basswood one has, but I didn't really miss it when I played the XI.

In reference to the finish, it's pretty subtle until it's under direct light of any sort. Then it comes to life!

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
The above post is totally wrong. The JPXI has a slightly thinner neck than any of the other JP models. It also has a flatter fretboard. The radius is 20" vs 15" as all the previous models are. The frets are SS and are medium jumbos like every other JP other than the JPX which has jumbo's. I have owned 5 JP's and my JPXI smokes every single one I have owned playabilty wise. The trem is the same as all the other JP's with the exception of the fact that they did a slight redesign on the baseplate to keep the high E saddle from hitting the trem post on dives. This is an improvement on the already stellar trem and is now used on all JP's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info. Anyone have issues with the pickup selector switch? I mean the one below the pickups (not the upper bout piezo selector) and specifically whether it's location causes issues? Seems like the picking hand could rather easily knock it in/out of position?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks for the info. Anyone have issues with the pickup selector switch? I mean the one below the pickups (not the upper bout piezo selector) and specifically whether it's location causes issues? Seems like the picking hand could rather easily knock it in/out of position?
The toggle switch for the pickups has not been a problem for me. It's kind of like any other guitar I have ever owned, in the sense where it took a few hours to get used. After those first few hours though, I came to realize that this guitar is a really wonderful instrument. I love it and recommend that you try one, if you can. Or, buy one if you can.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts