Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. A friend of mine is giving me this Boss ME-25. It will be my first experience with a multi effects processor, so I'm wondering if I should run it in front of my Randall RD45 or in the effects loop? What are the pros and cons of both options, and what are your opinions on the Boss unit in question? I know it's old tech, but it is free and I think it'll be useful.
Rectangle Font Wood Gas Tints and shades

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
As a general rule, "drive" effects (Distortion, Overdrive, Compressors, Fuzz) go infront of the amp, modifiers (EQ, reverb, delay) go in the loop. So where you put it will be dependent on how you're using primarily. Since your amp likely has enough gain on it's own, I'd suspect the loop will be a better place for it. :2c:

I've always had good experiences with Boss multieffects pedals.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
^

Nah, you can't.

These are great FX units for what they are. Don't expect top-of-the-line tones out of it and you should like it, especially since it was free. Like Randy said, if you don't plan on using the amp sims + overdrive and distorsion, put it in the loop. That's what I did when I had one a couple of years ago.

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a general rule, "drive" effects (Distortion, Overdrive, Compressors, Fuzz) go infront of the amp, modifiers (EQ, reverb, delay) go in the loop. So where you put it will be dependent on how you're using primarily. Since your amp likely has enough gain on it's own, I'd suspect the loop will be a better place for it. :2c:

I've always had good experiences with Boss multieffects pedals.
Yeah, the amp has a butt load of gain, so I really don't need the distortion/overdrive from the ME-25. I would like to utilize the compressor and Kirk Hammett pedal though, so I'd need to go into the front anyway wouldn't I?

^

Nah, you can't.

These are great FX Units for what they are. Don't expect top-of-the-line tones out of it and you should like it, especially since it was free. LIke Randy said, if you don't plan on using the amp sims + overdrive and distorsion, put it in the loop. That's what I did when I had one a couple of years ago.
I'm not expecting perfection by any means. Just happy to be getting more options to play around with. If I do experiment with the sims, I'll most likely run it right to my PC.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
pfffftt ...do you even stoner doom, brah?

stick if after the distortion so you get a sweep of that giant fuzzy waveform, instead of just sweeping the piddly little guitar only signal.

snail the wah, bro. snail the wah.
Ymmv. I ran a wah in my loop a couple times and the effect was way less noticeable than out front. Like, it sounded like a normal wah but with the wet mix set to like, 20%

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Ymmv. I ran a wah in my loop a couple times and the effect was way less noticeable than out front. Like, it sounded like a normal wah but with the wet mix set to like, 20%
:hesright:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.