Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't really afford to upgrade my comp for performance right now so I want to get info on what XP processes and crap like that I can shut down in order to get maximum performance, if it is at all possible.
I have a 2 ghz processor and 2 gigs of ram and I'm running a Lexicon Alpha usb audio interface with Guitar Rig 4, FL Studio and Cubase SX3. I do have a lighter version of Cubase that I can run to save some cpu usage but other than that, I get some harsh latency and whatever else.
About my only real concern is that I want to keep my internet capability on it for updates and such.

p.s. and all you "buy a Mac" guys can stay the fuck out of my thread. I don't really care unless you have a pile of cash to give me to buy one. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Buy a mac, fgt. :wub:

The first thing you want to do is create a boot profile/hardware profile:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...s/sysdm_hardware_profile_create.mspx?mfr=true

Make it, boot to it, and disable services/devices that you don't use. On my old machine, I'd even disable my network card. Anything that can chew resources while you're recording.

Once you're in there, and especially if your network is disabled, you can start disabling services like your antivirus software, auto-update shit, print spooler, etc, etc. Basically only your audio drivers and the basic XP shit that you need to run your recording software should be loaded. Start there, and see how it goes. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
You should really, really, really buy more RAM though. Memory is crazy stupid cheap right now, and for like $50 you'll see a total night and day difference with EVERYTHING that you use your computer for.

Edit: It's XP, so you only need 4GB total. Upside, it'll be cheap. Downside, you may have something odd like four 512MB sticks, or two 1GB sticks in two slots. If you hit crucial.com, they have a tool you can run to check your system and tell you what you need to buy. Seriously, it'll be like your computer spent the night with Charlie Sheen drinking Red Bulls doing blow off of Lindsay Lohan's ass.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Also, since I like posting, Reaper will probably be more process-friendly than Cubase, and it's free. And awesomesauce.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Seems to be a pretty decent set of suggestions on this page...

http://http://www.audioforums.com/resources/windows-xp-optimization.html

If you have the hard drive space the one thing I would recommend is that you partition the system drive and set up a specific install for audio work. Connecting to the internet is fine for updates but I would leave the connection off be default and only activate it for the updates. This will also allow you to turn the firewall on or off at will.

I actually have my DAW set up with three partitions. One for everyday use in case I need it (never do), another for testing new audio apps, and the final one for the "production" DAW workspace. I keep all audio data files on a separate drive. Both the "production" and "test bed" audio set ups run minimal services and no firewalls or startup applications. They only see the internet for updates and even then I try to do the updates by downloading to a local network drive and installing from there so I don't have to go on line. Really once you have your DAW tweaked and running well there is no reason to update it if it is not seeing the internet anyway.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Yeah, if you have a second hard drive in it that you can write to, it's one less thing on the OS bus. It might not make the biggest difference, but every bit helps.

The nice thing about a boot profile is that you can run your regular shit 99.9% of the time, and then when you boot into "Record Mode" the temptation to hop online and get distracted by the internet instead of recording isn't there.

If you know what kind of drives are in your computer, I may even have a spare one kicking around that I can mail out to you for like a dollar, or something absurd in return mailed back to me. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Also, buy a Mac. :wub:

[action=Chris]couldn't resist... again..[/action]

And FWIW, I have one of these on my resume. :lol:

You can definitely tweak XP down (moreso than 7, imo) to a good recording setup as long as you can offload as much shit as possible. Eg mix your drums down to a single track and import them, instead of running multiple tracks in, etc. Do it all with as few plugins as possible, too - all of that stuff (especially in realtime) chews the bag out of your CPU.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For processes, we need to see what you're running. Go here:

|MG| Trend Micro HijackThis 2.04 Final Download

Run HijackThis, and don't actually do anything - just post the log. Probably in a spoiler tag, because it'll be huge. :lol:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 7:23:37 PM, on 2/23/2011
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Hardware\NIHardwareService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\sm56hlpr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
C:\Program Files\SyncroSoft\Pos\H2O\cledx.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = MSN.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?T...=Q405&bd=presario&pf=desktop&parm1=seconduser
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?T...=Q405&bd=presario&pf=desktop&parm1=seconduser
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = MSN.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = MSN.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = Bing
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?T...=Q405&bd=presario&pf=desktop&parm1=seconduser
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = Bing
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = MSN.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = AOL.com - Welcome to AOL
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Windows Internet Explorer provided by MSN & Bing
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPBootOp] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\HPBootOp.exe" /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SMSERIAL] sm56hlpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LSBWatcher] c:\hp\drivers\hplsbwatcher\lsburnwatcher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CmPCIaudio] RunDll32 CMICNFG3.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [H2O] C:\Program Files\SyncroSoft\Pos\H2O\cledx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast5] "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe" /nogui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdobeCS4ServiceManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\CS4ServiceManager\CS4ServiceManager.exe" -launchedbylogin
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Acresso Software Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: IS Service (ISSVC) - Unknown owner - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Unknown owner - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NIHardwareService - Native Instruments GmbH - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Hardware\NIHardwareService.exe
O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Unknown owner - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe

--
End of file - 7929 bytes

Funny that I see Symantec shit in there since I've removed all the Norton shit. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Alright, now go here:

CCleaner - Download

Download CCLeaner, and run it. :yesway: Make sure the option for (fuck, I can't remember the exact term) like old temp files or some shit is checked. And make sure cookies/form data is NOT checked.

CCLeaner is win, it may nuke some of those shit processes you have loading too. :yesway:

I run it every single day at the end of the day on my work Windows box, and at every one of my Windows stations at work when I'm using them.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, since I like posting, Reaper will probably be more process-friendly than Cubase, and it's free. And awesomesauce.
That'd be awesome if I didn't have a bunch of Cubase files already going. :D

And maybe I'll give that boot log thing a whirl.

Also, I do have an extremely stripped down version of Windows but it's a complete pain in the ass to update.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
..Aaand do a Start -> Run -> MsConfig, and look for the Startup or Services tab. (I don't have a windows box in front of me).

You want to disable Jusched.exe, it's Java's shitbag update service that you don't care about unless you're slinging JRE code on the side. You should/might be able to get rid of the Symantec stuff in there too.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
You aren't on dialup, are you? From what I can tell via Google, this is your modem driver:

C:\WINDOWS\sm56hlpr.exe
If you go into Device Manager (right click my computer -> Manage) you can disable it in hardware manager. Even if you aren't using it, the driver is loading.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts