Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I know there was an 'Advanced AV Pack' and a 'Hi Definition AV Pack' for the original Xbox. The Advanced Pack had S-Video and I believe Optical audio. The Hi Def Pack had RGB component cables and I believe Optical as well. Was there ever an HDMI hook up for the original Xbox?

P.s. If anyone has either of these they wanna sell cheap... PM me ;)

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Alright, so I know there was an 'Advanced AV Pack' and a 'Hi Definition AV Pack' for the original Xbox. The Advanced Pack had S-Video and I believe Optical audio. The Hi Def Pack had RGB component cables and I believe Optical as well. Was there ever an HDMI hook up for the original Xbox?

P.s. If anyone has either of these they wanna sell cheap... PM me ;)
Pretty sure the Elite was the first to offer HDMI as my (loaded) friend sold his brand new XBox to get the HDMI equipped one.

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
I'm confused. Are you talking about the original Xbox? The massive black shoebox type thing? If so that has never had HDMI capabilities and rightly so as there is no HD content on original Xbox games.

If you are talking about the Xbox 360 they released a version with a HDMI slot at the same time as the Elite (which also has a HDMI). It's now standard with most Xbox's as you can't get a 1080p signal without it.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, there's a High Definition AV Pack for the original Xbox that does HD through RGB component cables. So, yes, there IS HD for the original Xbox

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
No, there isn't HD. It's 420p instead of 420i.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

There was HD for some games. I remember reading about it in OXM when I was little.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

There was HD for some games. I remember reading about it in OXM when I was little.
You are correct. The original Xbox was able to do up to 1080i. But it generally ran dogshit slow (laggy controls) when in that mode. The only games I remember that were 1080i were Dragons Lair 3D and Enter The Matrix. Although I'm sure there were more. 720P worked best for that console.

I'll never forget the first time we hooked up an Xbox to a rear projection HDTV and ran GTA Vice City in widescreen mode for the first time. We were all "oohing" and "ahhing" when the blood splattered on the camera lens when using a chainsaw. :lol:

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
They sell a VGA cable that will do 1080p. It's what I'm using, while I'm gaming on my monitor like a boss.
Apologies and fair dues. I totally forgot about that. I should have clarified that a large number of HDTVs will not show 1080p over VGA.

F1Filter said:
...The original Xbox was able to do up to 1080i. But it generally ran dogshit slow (laggy controls) when in that mode. The only games I remember that were 1080i were Dragons Lair 3D and Enter The Matrix. Although I'm sure there were more. 720P worked best for that console.
I did not know that. :yesway:

Strange that 1080i ran poorly in comparison to 720p - if the screen can display a 1080i or preferably 1080p resolution there really shouldn't be any difference between them should there? (bar a few jaggies from the interlacing) :confused:

Roger - just out of curiosity considering how cheap you can pick up an Xbox 360 nowadays and the fact that a large number of the old Xbox titles can be played on the 360 why would you bother?

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Roger - just out of curiosity considering how cheap you can pick up an Xbox 360 nowadays and the fact that a large number of the old Xbox titles can be played on the 360 why would you bother?
A) I'm still in CC debt from all the renovation costs I did on the house I bought
B) I still have tons of games on my Xbox's HD (;)) that I never ever even got around to playing, so I plan on playing them

In any case, if I did the HD AV Pack, I'd have to run cables up from my AV Center on the fireplace shelf, all the way up and over the mantle to the TV. I'm currently trying to 'hide' all my cables by using gray cables and hiding it in the mortar in the brick wall, so that would look ugly. I checked it last night, and apparently I already found an S-video cable for my old Xbox and its plugged into my Polk Audio SurroundBar 360, which does a pretty damn good job of upconverting to 1080i. So I think I'm gonna just stick with that route and don't worry about it :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts